Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Another Micro Brewery Bought Out

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 20-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4404 Times on 3334 Posts
Likes Given: 4628

Default Another Micro Brewery Bought Out

Camden Town Brewery has been bought by AB Inbev for 85million. Even brewdog baulk at this "sell out" and have stopped stocking the camden beers in their pubs

Just another case of the giants "buying up" the craft scene as I can see.

Can't blame the chap tbh, If someone offered me 85 million for a business I'd started and built up, I dont think I I'd say, "feck off, I'm an art-isan". Would you?

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/...-a3229391.html

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 20-04-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
Notlaw
Dubbel Dragon

Liked 809 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

I bloody hate AB InBev, bastards. To think I nearly took a job with them a year or so ago at their Samlesbury brewery; the one that makes most of the UKs Stella and Budweiser.

Old 20-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
Richie_asg1

Liked 102 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 10

True enough.
Are they doing it to keep the brand for a profit or just to close them down? I can't see how they can scale up a microbrewery without changing the taste by using different methods.

If they are doing it for profit then it would mean more products on the shelf, but owned by the same company so they increase market share.

In one way this actually serves as an incentive to become a micro brewery! Nothing stopping them from setting up shop down the road under a new name.
People Like This 
Old 21-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
Lesinge

Liked 113 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I read about this awhile ago. Camden brewery, like the Doombar lot, actually seemed to have a business plan to brew beer that attracted a takeover. Not really a lover of their beer as it was already pretty bland and commercial so I would imagine their Hells lager is soon seen all over the UK. What these big breweries can't understand is that once they swallow a craft beer, their market moves on from that beer. Still if it encourages the lager drinkers to taste real beer so they can move on to real beer, so much the better. The gap that these taken over breweries leave will soon be filled by people who love beer.
FV4
Conditioning: Cascadia AG
Conditioning:
Conditioning:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Amberstar AG
Drinking: Bier De Garde AG
Drinking:
Drinking:

Old 21-04-2016, 04:22 AM   #5
LarryF
Brew Numpty

Liked 686 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 583

From what I've read about people starting their own microbrewery their passion for producing good beer and to justify the risk they took drives them to work insanely hard. The toll this takes on them and their family must be dreadful and then someone comes along and puts £85m on the table. As much as we all love making beer and can see what these big breweries are doing to beer in general I certainly couldn't walk away from money like that.
Planning: Beer
The signature was starting to be hard work.
People Like This 
Old 21-04-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Wish someone would offer me �£85mill for the Peckham Brewery. I'd even thow in my greeny brown stained 4 year old coopers FV/no-chill cube for free

People Like This 
Old 21-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
MickDundee

Liked 563 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 477

£85M is massive! Are Camden Brewery even that big? I must say I don't know a lot about them, other than the fact M&S stocks their beer, but Inveralmond Brewery only went for £3M the other week! Are Camden really almost 30 times as big?

Fermenting/Conditioning -
Drunken Lazy Bastard oatmeal stout
First in Flight APA

Drinking -
Common People Steam Beer Mk3
Elf’s Lament Gingerbread Brown Ale

Planning -
Hefewheat Champion of the World
Shipping up to Boston NEIPA
Thinking of doing a framboise - do I know what I’m letting myself in for?

Old 21-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_asg1 View Post
True enough.
Are they doing it to keep the brand for a profit or just to close them down? I can't see how they can scale up a microbrewery without changing the taste by using different methods.

If they are doing it for profit then it would mean more products on the shelf, but owned by the same company so they increase market share.

In one way this actually serves as an incentive to become a micro brewery! Nothing stopping them from setting up shop down the road under a new name.
I'm thinking it's probably/possibly to increase market share. Rather than trying to build a 'craft brand' which would cost millions and possibly fail. It's much easier to buy up an established craft brewery which has a reputation and probable customer base

Old 21-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickDundee View Post
���£85M is massive! Are Camden Brewery even that big? I must say I don't know a lot about them, other than the fact M&S stocks their beer, but Inveralmond Brewery only went for ���£3M the other week! Are Camden really almost 30 times as big?
Their (obviously) all over london in both the craft ale pubs and the chains. The Youngs pub near me sells their beer.

Old 21-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
Richie_asg1

Liked 102 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 10

...So to do well in this game you have to grow a brand from scratch, and produce a reasonable pint.

My money's on KJK's Brainsqueezer Good name.