kit pimping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyslime

Reaction score
Hi all I've been kit brewing for a few years but a few months ago I made the move to all grain (best decision I've made for ages)
The thing is during my move to all grain I had a birthday and being very kind and generous my family bought me a few kits.
Wilko stout and sweet newkie brown
Coopers English bitter
Kilner bitter and a wherry.
Looking for ideas on what to brew with these kits now I have access to grains .
Cheers in advance

I would do partial mashes then use the kit as a base, the English bitter is a good base kit apparently (I never done it)

you could mash the remainder of the fermentables boil with some hop schedule, perhaps use some EKG and fuggles say..

I haven't ever done a partial mash with a kit before only plain partial and full AG so cannot help with precise amounts, I would go easy on the bittering as the kit will already be bittered

I've been reading around, as I also have a spare kit I want to partial mash with now I've moved to AG. This is a pretty useful guide to partial mashing:
http://www.babbrewers.com/files/story/2003/04/Partial_Mash_Talk.pdf

It is mostly based on the using the lighter Coopers kits, but you could easily sub the Wilkos Stout and do the stout recipe. Even for your other one-can kits, it will give you a guide to how much grain to use. As the Wherry is a two-can, I'd probably just brew as is, subbing the yeast and perhaps doing a dry hop. I think the kilner is also a two-can, but low abv, so you could always boost that with a smaller partial mash.

Hi all I've been kit brewing for a few years but a few months ago I made the move to all grain (best decision I've made for ages)
The thing is during my move to all grain I had a birthday and being very kind and generous my family bought me a few kits.
Wilko stout and sweet newkie brown
Coopers English bitter
Kilner bitter and a wherry.
Looking for ideas on what to brew with these kits now I have access to grains .
Cheers in advance
Not yet progressed to AG, doing Extract's at present.Could always steep some grains and add along with hops.I did this with a Wilko Hoppy Copper bitter which is carbing but actually tasted and smelled quite good from the sample tube before bottling.
For what it's worth i did a Wilko stout a good few months ago, just with dark spray malt,1/4 tin black treacle,demerera sugar and some Youngs beer enhancer, brewed short to 19 litres and hopped up,plus a dry hop of Willamette. Must say it's improving with every bottle and is actually quite a decent pint.

You could try a 2 or 3 can monster a bit like the coopers ris with the stout and one of the bitter kits.

Or if you have some left over hops and demi John or two you could split the batch and dry hop differently.

This was posted a while ago and has some interesting things you can do with Kits.

It is Coopers focused but pretty sure the theory, if not the result would be the same with other, similar style kits.

http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Customize/CustomizeCoopers.html

Thats great Gaspode. I've never seen that before

Edit: just nicked it to make a sticky along with the recipes from the coopers site

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=578929#post578929

Quick update
Brewed the other weekend and used the coopers bitter kit.
3kg pale malt
200g crystal
10g ekg 60min
20g ekg 30min
20g ekg 10min
Added kit to the boil .
1052og down to 1012 now transferred into secondary . Trial jar was nice malty with a bitter finish will see how it tastes in a few weeks after bottling.

Latest posts

Back