UK Homebrewing Magazine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HisDudeness

Reaction score
As far as I can tell there is no Uk based/focused magazine for homebrewing beer, what are members thoughts on this?

Would it be of interest to you if there was one?

I have been pondering the idea of trying to start something up and see where it goes but its something I have zero experience in so thought I might tentatively suggest it here and see what you good people think!

I think magazines are becoming redundant with the power of the interweb and mobile devices.

Although I still prefer a proper book, so maybe not.

I like the idea though.

What you mean is like this forum but on paper?
The only problem I can see is that most of the written press is going digital and on line rather than trying to print and sell paper copies.

A digital issue may work though and most of the posters on here could be your writers. You could include how to guides, an issue by issue project for building a system, suppliers input/adverts,obviously readers question even (heaven forbid) the science and theory behind each stage of brewing. Competitions and local events and beer swaps would be good as well

I volunteer for all the free brewery visits with lots of samples and transport home laid on!
What are you waiting for?

I'd be interested in a magazine, either paper or digital. I like to read stuff on my commute but I'm not a big book man and sometimes reading the net in my phone can be a bit of a pain due to Scotrail's **** wifi. No idea how you'd get started though!

I would be very intreasted in a paper magazine
I read all my books on kindle, but not magazines
Please let me know if you come a cross uk based mags or publish your self

I do think it is a great idea but I think it might be difficult, the old mags were distributed through Homebrew shops an I think a lot of people shop online. If you go paper I would think that you would need a subscription service so you have control of the supply chain. It would be of interest and I think with sponsorship an advertising it could be done.

Cheers

A

I'd be interested in a magazine, either paper or digital. I like to read stuff on my commute but I'm not a big book man and sometimes reading the net in my phone can be a bit of a pain due to Scotrail's **** wifi. No idea how you'd get started though!

Start by looking at something like Brew your own magazine for an idea of content, layout and regular features , convert it into English with local adds and suppliers contributions and ask interested parties on here to write some trial articles.
Mock up an issue and circulate (by PM if needed)

Thanks for the input everyone, a digital version would almost certainly be a starting point (as you can do it pretty much completely free) and could give some idea about whether going to print would be viable in the long run. I hear what people are saying regarding the move to digital for publishing but I do find it quite difficult to read magazines on phones/tabs, how many of you currently subscribe to any form of digital magazine?

What you mean is like this forum but on paper?
The only problem I can see is that most of the written press is going digital and on line rather than trying to print and sell paper copies.

A digital issue may work though and most of the posters on here could be your writers. You could include how to guides, an issue by issue project for building a system, suppliers input/adverts,obviously readers question even (heaven forbid) the science and theory behind each stage of brewing. Competitions and local events and beer swaps would be good as well

I volunteer for all the free brewery visits with lots of samples and transport home laid on!
What are you waiting for?

I used to be a member of a (non brewing) forum who wrote their own book like this. Members contributed articles/chapters/etc and it was self published and sold on kindle

Start by looking at something like Brew your own magazine for an idea of content, layout and regular features , convert it into English with local adds and suppliers contributions and ask interested parties on here to write some trial articles.
Mock up an issue and circulate (by PM if needed)

Thats pretty close to what I am currently planning!

Okay so who volunteers to help. I'll write the non technical shoestring brewing stuff. Pointing out the way it should be done and the cheap alternative if you like. Hopefully in a Humorous manner. You would need Kit Corner for kit reviews. Pimp my kit, ideas for improving a kit. Masher's Notes. Recipe Ideas. Question page Malt Extract ideas. Brewhouse Notes. Equipment reviews.

Well there's a few ideas

Great idea and would prefer a paper magazine or digital.

I don't subscribe to any digital magazines but buy cyclin magazines. Just passing a magazine shelf usually ends up in a purchase.

I volunteer for the review section, all those freebies to review will be great.

Okay so who volunteers to help. I'll write the non technical shoestring brewing stuff. Pointing out the way it should be done and the cheap alternative if you like. Hopefully in a Humorous manner. You would need Kit Corner for kit reviews. Pimp my kit, ideas for improving a kit. Masher's Notes. Recipe Ideas. Question page Malt Extract ideas. Brewhouse Notes. Equipment reviews.

Well there's a few ideas

Thats some good stuff andy thanks, funnily enough I had a 'Kit corner' listed on a few regular section ideas as well. The big question is what should it be called best I have come up with is 'Brew it Yourself' but I know that there is already a book out with that title so not sure if that creates any possible copyrighting issues

I'll work on a name. I am usually pretty good at things like that. But it will take time to get it right. "Hopping Mad" "Homebrew Heaven" "Malts and More" Quick ideas.

Thats some good stuff andy thanks, funnily enough I had a 'Kit corner' listed on a few regular section ideas as well. The big question is what should it be called best I have come up with is 'Brew it Yourself' but I know that there is already a book out with that title so not sure if that creates any possible copyrighting issues

UK Homebrew. Or is that too boring?

I'd be up for that - I'd subscribe / buy it and would love to contribute.
Don't know much about digital versions - being an Android-type with a strong aversion to anything Apple-based my blood generally gets to strike water temperature when I see digital versions of mags offered only via iPad route. :mad:
Equally, cannot pass the magazine section in a supermarket without picking up a shooting/ motorbike/ Land Rover magazine...

I have searched for UK based mags and was thinking about importing a US one but SWMBO has probably alerted UK Border Force already

Great idea but as a commercial venture then I think it's a losing one. Homebrew is growing hobby but printed media is dying one. I just checked to see how many magazines I could find, to see how many people are needed - I couldn't find any. I'd guess as a start you'd need an editor, graphic designer, marketer, commercial manager, writers, an accountant and at least 6 months of articles to go along with current news.

I love the idea though.

Last edited:
Sounds great, I'd snap it up. I don't subscribe to any digital mags, but do to a few paper mags; MagPi, Android (although they've just wound it up), Amateur Gardening and something else that I can't remember right now. If you started digital, I'd of course support it fully. I'd also contribute too if there was something I could do.

Names: Brewing up a storm, Brewing up trouble, Brewing Bad...?

Latest posts

Back