AG#1 Rye Beer - Greg Hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal_Ball

Reaction score
So after last Saturday's evenings disaster i decided to start early this morning after a little more planning.

First BM AG

Rye Malt 3KG
Pale Malt 2.5KG

Chinook 18g Start of boil
Amarillo 50g at turn off

1tsp irish moss 15 mins before end of boil.

Mash @ 65C for 60 mins - 23L water
Boil should have been 70 mins, but i accidentally programmed 80 mins. I added the start of boil hops 10 mins into the boil.

Sparged with cold water 5L. (Even though it self sparges i thought i might get a bit more out of the grain)
I topped up to 25L mark after that, but for some reason didn't measure the amount put in. :doh:
During boil i decided to top up with 2 more litres of water as i was supposed to be left with 25L and have read that i would have at least 1L lost at the bottom. The result being OG being 1.044 instead of 1.052!!

Don't know if i put too much water in or if efficiency was low??

Ended up with 18 litres instead of 23L ???

Pitched Wyeast 2565 Kolsch @ 19C

A few lessons to be learnt for next time. Any advice greatly received!

Looking at my records, I got 1.046 as a SG with this same brew. With a final Gravity 1.009 with the Kolsch yeast, this got me to 4.8%, so you should get around 4.6% or so.

I think that's about right for this beer. I'm drinking one now actually. It's a good drop, so I'm sure you will enjoy it.

That's fairly reassuring then!
The trial jar taster was so bitter I've never tasted anything like it before!

Day 6
Added 50g of Amarillo to dry hop.
Reading 1.012
Tasted the trial jar and OMG i was blown away by how good my first AG brew tastes so far!!!! I could get technical about the individual flavours but i can't remember them!

Did you use any rice/oat hulls? If not did your mash get stuck at all? I'd like to do one but have read some issues about using a high proportion of rye.

Did you use any rice/oat hulls? If not did your mash get stuck at all? I'd like to do one but have read some issues about using a high proportion of rye.

Ingredients literally as above straight out of the book. On the packaging it did say not more than 50% of the total amount, but as it was a Greg Hughes recipe and purchased from BrewUK (owned by Greg Hughes) i went with it. Didn't want to stray from the instructions on a few AG brew.

No stuck mash. Maybe the beauty of the Braumeister??

Back