Hair of the Cat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
I was on a roll after bottling my first mini cider, and as I had everything clean and sterilised decided to crack on with a Simply Yorkshire Bitter kit which is in a wobbly pouch.

Kit is one wobbly bag of liquid extract with a pack of yeast on the base.
First note is I have no Idea what the yeast was as it was in a plain foil pack. :-?

Recommends 1kg of brew sugar or 1kg of brew enhancer.

I went with;
880g Brewing sugar (using up a 1kg bag)
120g Golden granulated sugar (to make up the 1kg recommended)
500g Muntons medium spraymalt

3L of water on the boil I added sugars and spraymalt to that, then kept a boil going for 15 minutes adding;
25g Fuggles hop pellets @15 mins
25g EKG pellets @0 mins, left for 10 mins to cool.

Added sterilised wobbly bag to FV and 3L of cold water, then mixed hot hopped wort to FV and topped up with cold to 20L. Was a bit cold so added 3L warm water to finish at 26°C
Aerated and pitched yeast packet & stirred in.

OG 1.054

The problem was that the cat decided that he wanted a drink while there was all this water around, and that the FV on the floor looked very interesting, so I was using elbows and feet to keep him away from it.
Then he discovered the few hop pellets I dropped ! I swear there's something in them that drives cats nuts.

Anyway if it tastes of cat I will know why. :grin:

I was on a roll after bottling my first mini cider, and as I had everything clean and sterilised decided to crack on with a Simply Yorkshire Bitter kit which is in a wobbly pouch.

Kit is one wobbly bag of liquid extract with a pack of yeast on the base.
First note is I have no Idea what the yeast was as it was in a plain foil pack. :-?

Recommends 1kg of brew sugar or 1kg of brew enhancer.

I went with;
880g Brewing sugar (using up a 1kg bag)
120g Golden granulated sugar (to make up the 1kg recommended)
500g Muntons medium spraymalt

3L of water on the boil I added sugars and spraymalt to that, then kept a boil going for 15 minutes adding;
25g Fuggles hop pellets @15 mins
25g EKG pellets @0 mins, left for 10 mins to cool.

Added sterilised wobbly bag to FV and 3L of cold water, then mixed hot hopped wort to FV and topped up with cold to 20L. Was a bit cold so added 3L warm water to finish at 26°C
Aerated and pitched yeast packet & stirred in.

OG 1.054

The problem was that the cat decided that he wanted a drink while there was all this water around, and that the FV on the floor looked very interesting, so I was using elbows and feet to keep him away from it.
Then he discovered the few hop pellets I dropped ! I swear there's something in them that drives cats nuts.

Anyway if it tastes of cat I will know why. :grin:

Beer recipe looks very sensible to me, Should turn out well. Pimping up a kit like this is definitely an improvement over the kit on its own.

Interested in the cat, here. They seem to be keen on things like mint and "cat-nip". maybe they get something of the same from some hops? There are hops that are described as "minty" but I don't think I've ever seen Fuggles or EKG as such.

Did he (the cat) eat any?

Did he (the cat) eat any?

No just batted it around the floor like a crazy thing.

Ferment has started so fingers crossed.

I used one of the 9cm ball infusers for one lot of hops, and a bag for the second.
25 grams is ideal for one of the infusers, but I think that is about the limit for it, but will be buying a couple more as I think they're great.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151383234061

No just batted it around the floor like a crazy thing.

Ferment has started so fingers crossed.

I used one of the 9cm ball infusers for one lot of hops, and a bag for the second.
25 grams is ideal for one of the infusers, but I think that is about the limit for it, but will be buying a couple more as I think they're great.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151383234061

I would have just chucked the pelletised hops in the FV myself, but maybe 50g might be quite a lot. I tend to rack all my beers after 1or usually 2 weeks, so hop debris in the final product is unlikely.

Very interesting technology employed here, My mum used to have a very large enclosed tea spoon (for tea) that was used to infuse the flavour without the leaves. That would have been the best part of 80 years ago.

Pets add flavor!!!! Hahaha
You'll probably get a few different strains of yeast dropped in but because yeasts don't play well together, won't be a problem. The larger amount of yeast will start its thing claiming its territory.
When you get time, make a 1.020 mix of DME and throw in some of your cats hair. Let it grow for a week. Then start feeding your creation. You might have a tasty cat!!!!

Kegged today with 100g natural sugar boiled in 100mls water. Lovely colour - and heady aroma, but in my haste forgot to taste it!

Looked right, smelt right, SG 1.014 so am hopeful it will be ok. No hint of cat yet. :mrgreen:

Back