Bradford factor HR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
Does anyone's employer use this system? I've been 'warned' that my score is to high. (I though the aim in life was to get top marks ;-) )

Either way, this system has some flaws. Anyone else had experience of this?

I'm coming to the conclusion that if your ill and can afford it, take the whole week off, you get in less trouble. Yes sounds bizzare but true.

My place uses it.. Luckily I have a score of zero (touch wood).. I agree if you're going to be off you're better off having a week off than two seperate days.. because seperate instances accumulate the score much quicker

Yea I was ill but stuff needed doing so went in for one day, then had the next two days off. Same illness but counted as two instances. Bloody stupid if you ask me.

Not really sure how it works, don't pay much attention to what HR say. So if off for 1 period but 6 months long is that OK

Not really sure how it works, don't pay much attention to what HR say. So if off for 1 period but 6 months long is that OK

Technically yes. Had a scout round Google and its the same consensus everywhere.

Supposed to stop the random sick days from happening. Like had to much homebrew the night before and think oh sod it I'm not going in.

But in my case I've fallen foul to the mathematics and even though I came in while ill to get stuff done. I've been punished twice for it.

Next time I'll take the week off. Just makes no sense to me.

As I say to all of my staff. If your ill, stay at home and only come back when your better. And not before. It's better for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the odd Monday sick days cocks up the score too 🤔

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Working in HR I'll try and explain why we use it and what it really 'monitors'.

We use it to keep track of people that take lots of 1 day absences - its more likely that made up illnesses only last for 1 day and will have a variety of reasons headaches, upset stomachs, toothache, bad back, fractured eyelash or whatever. If someone takes 6 months off the reason is likely to be genuine and serious and will be for the same reason and not likely to be made up.

Most employers know when someone is really ill for a couple of days - colds etc that no-one wants to spread around.

When someone hits the trigger points they should be asked to attend an investigation meeting, where any 'genuine' short term absences can be discussed and discounted. Any swinging the lead will become obvious and a minor warning issued if appropriate.

Hope that helps a little.

Ahh it's a big brother's watching monitoring tool..... Yes some people swing the lead and I find that as annoying as the next person but I find the growing lack of trust in the workplace to be very depressing. Not sure anything can be done about it though. Hat off to you though murphysmum HR is not an easy job and you can never please everyone!

We don't seem to have any HR at my current place but when I was in the pharma industry we did and I know they had something similar to this Bradford score, lots of whinging about it, mainly cos it never seems to apply to upper management [emoji3] Amazing how many times the alcoholic QA manager was off site when a "random" alcohol test was required!

Its nothing new - just has a different name to be honest - HR (or as we used to be known Personnel) have always had to monitor sickness levels, is just this is a tool that helps, rather than old fashioned record cards, or the memory of someones supervisor or manager. In its favour I would say it ensure's fairness across the board (as long as all sickness is recorded) as it avoids 'Fred' letting 'Bert' off because he's his mate (which we all know used to happen)!

Thanks for acknowledging HR isn't an easy job - too many these days think of us as the managements police - whereas in reality we are there for both sides if you like. We aim to ensure everyone is reated with fairness, dignity and respect as well as ensure everyone is pulling their weight.

I agree wholly in what your saying, it's used as a tool and a preventative for short term absence.

However it's the maths I don't agree with.

As I said, same illness which is known to hr, but stuff needed doing, so I came in after already being off ill.

However the next day I wasn't well enough to return. Therefore I got two instances, and that adds up.

I should have had the whole week off and the job would have been late going out. But at least my BF score would be lower....right ;-)

Think this is one of those things that needs a bit of human common sense applied on top of it. If they know then they should adjust accordingly but there are poor staff in HR just as there are in all departments :)

Yes, it would add on, but thats where common sense comes into it - personally I'd overwrite it so that it just records one instance of sickness in those circumstances, but technically yes you would have been better off taking the whole week (mad as it sounds). Its like with anything - the tool is just to help and nothing will ever replace common sense.

If we ever get HR at my place murphysmum can you do it for us? [emoji3]

As I said, same illness which is known to hr, but stuff needed doing, so I came in after already being off ill.

However the next day I wasn't well enough to return. Therefore I got two instances, and that adds up.

I should have had the whole week off and the job would have been late going out. But at least my BF score would be lower....right

I would take it up with HR, you helped them out when they knew you were ill and then they punished you because your recovery took a backward step because you went back before you were fit, i know what i would do next time.

If we ever get HR at my place murphysmum can you do it for us? [emoji3]

It would be my pleasure - always did fancy moving 'up north' :thumb:

One thing I will say is sometimes HR can only do so much - we do get overwritten by management - even if we do fight it.

If HR don't seem to be listening when you take it up with them, ask if you can speak with the appropriate manager too - it could be that HR are being dictated to by someone who wasn't aware of the circumstance.

Lol it is nice up north especially as the office is down South [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back