Langdale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxxyjazz

Reaction score
Hi,

Today in the Lake District I tried a CLA langdale beer. It is a golden ale with Maris otter and larger hops. Does anybody have a clone recipe for this beer or something similar?

Cheers

M

My google-fu came up empty with a clone recipe but the web page for CLA Langdale says english fruit and marmalade for the hops. Marmalade is a description often given for first gold (although I've never really thought FG hops tasted like marmalade but they are a lovely hop). Perhaps a cheeky email to the brewery asking for a recipe might yeald some results?

My google-fu came up empty with a clone recipe but the web page for CLA Langdale says english fruit and marmalade for the hops. Marmalade is a description often given for first gold (although I've never really thought FG hops tasted like marmalade but they are a lovely hop). Perhaps a cheeky email to the brewery asking for a recipe might yeald some results?

It's worth a try to ask the Brewery. I got a reply from Tempest regarding their long White Cloud beer ( full of NZ hops) and the brewer from Wylam gave me extensive details of their Jakehead during a meet the brewer night.

I think more breweries should be more proactive in doing a Brewdog and at least telling homebrewers what grain and hops are in their ale if not full details, we can work it out from there!

It's worth a try to ask the Brewery. I got a reply from Tempest regarding their long White Cloud beer ( full of NZ hops) and the brewer from Wylam gave me extensive details of their Jakehead during a meet the brewer night.

I think more breweries should be more proactive in doing a Brewdog and at least telling homebrewers what grain and hops are in their ale if not full details, we can work it out from there!

I would also add letting HB's know whether they use a propriatary yeast, a standard dried yeast (e.g. US-05) or a liquid yeast from a yeast lab will also help those of us that wish to clone a beer as close as possible.

I think most smaller breweries are happy to tell you what's in there're beer (and I've personal experience and read about micro's even offering to give you some of their yeast for nowt). Any of the big breweries who come out with the 'it's a trade secret ' have usually had there most popular beers cloned or attempted to clone by HBers anyway and the recipes can usually be found somewhere on the internet

I'll drop the brewery an email. Cheers, it never crossed my mind to do that. I would of thought that the recipes would be a guarded secret.

Perhaps once, but I think breweries (Brewdog being the massive example with the release of all there recipes) have realized if youlet people know what the recipes are it gets people talking about your beer and therefor helps sales

Perhaps once, but I think breweries (Brewdog being the massive example with the release of all there recipes) have realized if youlet people know what the recipes are it gets people talking about your beer and therefor helps sales

Flip side of this, if you brewed a beer and put it to market, would you willingly hand out the recipe for someone to copy as a home brewer? If everything was disclosed, chances are that it would turn out well enough for them not bother buying it anymore.

What details did you manage to find out about Jakehead? It’s probably my favourite pint. Would love to try to make a clone.

Us lot brewing a few clone brews makes not one bit of difference...out of around 25 ISH ag brews I've not done the same twice even with a few being very drinkable clones...the ones I will repeat have been very successful made up recipes. Plus can anyone actually recreate exactly a commercial brew? I recently had a brew dog recipe sent for slot machine which I had to crunch down to 23 litres from 100 HL (10,000 litres)...who's brewing that much at home?

Latest posts

Back