Coffee in stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done already. Have a small 5 litre extract stout on the go, just dropped some Styrian Goldings dry hop in.
If i were to add some coarse ground coffee beans can anyone advise how much would be enough not to overpower it and can it be slung in a bag same as the dry hops and for what length of time?
thanks

I wouldn't use ground coffee beans, since they are unlikely to give up much flavour. I make 3 espressos in my coffee machine using strong Italian coffee for stout to 19litres, and chuck that in at the beginning of the primary. It could probably stand a bit more coffee since there is only the slightest hint of coffee in the finished product You could also use a cafetiere to make up strong coffee and let it cool before you add it to your brew, but don't use too much water or you will dilute it.

I wouldn't use ground coffee beans, since they are unlikely to give up much flavour. I make 3 espressos in my coffee machine using strong Italian coffee for stout to 19litres, and chuck that in at the beginning of the primary. It could probably stand a bit more coffee since there is only the slightest hint of coffee in the finished product You could also use a cafetiere to make up strong coffee and let it cool before you add it to your brew, but don't use too much water or you will dilute it.

Thank you
Have done some Google serching and come up with a multitude of answers

Getting adventurous, chub?!

Some more advice here though this guy does it on a large scale:
http://www.bear-flavored.com/2016/03/whats-best-way-to-add-coffee-into-beer.html?m=1

It's a good site generally that one. The bloke is a very good writer.

Gareth,
Was going to add some to my Harvest stout kit when i do it, but seeing as though i have 5 litres of extract stout 'getting there' i thought i might dable with that one instead.Have some weakish beans available or some nice Sumatran ESE pods( like a tea bag jobby) don't want to overkill though:nono:
Actually picked up some Mocca pods today BUT they have a lot of 'things' added to them which probably won't be nice in a pint.
At the mo i am loking at adding around 14 grams of ground beans or pods to around 200 gm cold boiled water in a caffatiere, leave in fridge for 12 hours or overnight and add to bottling bucket along with primming sugar and bottle.

chris

chris

Yeah I would add it very late, coffee has a loaning complex flavours that you could easily lose Over time.

I'm sure in the mikkeler book they add it just at packaging time rather than at the start of fermentation.

Edit: I have not actually ever done this so my advice is not from any sort of experience, just what I'd do if I was doing a coffee stout. Which I might someday

Yeah I would add it very late, coffee has a loaning complex flavours that you could easily lose Over time.

I'm sure in the mikkeler book they add it just at packaging time rather than at the start of fermentation.

Edit: I have not actually ever done this so my advice is not from any sort of experience, just what I'd do if I was doing a coffee stout. Which I might someday
Yup i think very late is the way to go. Will err on discretion with amounts, would rather it be just detectable as against having fizzy coffee:doh:.
may as well do my small batch as it's experimental anyway rather than dealing with say 30 odd pints. Worst case senario it goes down the bog:lol:
Once it's carbed up, you can be my Guinea pig if you like:rofl::rofl:

Yup i think very late is the way to go. Will err on discretion with amounts, would rather it be just detectable as against having fizzy coffee:doh:.
may as well do my small batch as it's experimental anyway rather than dealing with say 30 odd pints. Worst case senario it goes down the bog:lol:
Once it's carbed up, you can be my Guinea pig if you like:rofl::rofl:

You have one first :whistle:

I've got a coopers stout going, I was thinking of coffee and may be coco powder
I've never dun anything like this before, but no play no learn :electric:

I've got a coopers stout going, I was thinking of coffee and may be coco powder
I've never dun anything like this before, but no play no learn :electric:

I put 2 big shots of expresso in my coopers stout and its turned out confusing. I swear I can taste it in my mouth after swallowing but my son can't. Am I tasting it only cos my brain is telling me I want to. Sod it...Im off to the garage to crack one open and further confuse my brain.

I read about cold brewing coffee to limit the harshness that brewing with boiliing water can bring.

I brewed a 3 scoop single person cafeteria (triple normal strength) with cold water and left it in the fridge for 24hrs before adding to the fv as.almost a dry hop. Sample.jar was good but still carbing as I type.

This was for 23litres BTW.

I was thinking cold brew for coffee
What u think for coco powder, boil it up let it cool
I'am thinking put it in secondary with the coffee ??????

I read about cold brewing coffee to limit the harshness that brewing with boiliing water can bring.

I brewed a 3 scoop single person cafeteria (triple normal strength) with cold water and left it in the fridge for 24hrs before adding to the fv as.almost a dry hop. Sample.jar was good but still carbing as I type.

This was for 23litres BTW.
Hi what literage in FV? and how much cold water in the caffatiere?
Thanks

Anyone tried adding coco powder to

I have read the fat in the powder can cause head retention issues. I have used cacao nibs to impart chocolate-flavour in a Chocolate Milk Oatmeal Stout. Don't think I have the recipe anymore, but will check for amount I used.

Been experementing with steeped cold coffee added to my already bottled kit stout, actually not bad at all.The missus sanctioned it as well:mrgreen::thumb:
Picked up some cheap ESE coffee type bags in regular, dark roast and Moccha.
Going to add 150ml ONLY of cold steeped coffee(2 bags regular and 2 bags Moccha in 200 ml water, chilled for 24 hours in fridge) to 6 litres of my extract stout at batch prime and bottling stage. Should be just about enough to get a slight taste without it overpowering the stout.

Anyone tried adding coco powder to

Hi!
I read online that it isn't a good idea to add cocoa powder to a FV - I think it was to do with the fat content of the cocoa.
I'm going to make a chocolate extract by steeping cocoa nibs in vodka, freezing the liquid and scraping off the fatty "butter" that rises to the surface.
The remaining extract I'll add to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar.
Cocoa nibs from Holland & Barrett.

Latest posts

Back