Drawing up samples...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Another 'doh' moment today....

I've been using the youngs 27L FV for a bit now and originally bought a 150ml syringe to draw up samples with, then at some stage decided that a turkey baster would be better...

Which is was, until it stopped sooking the wine up (seal was ****), plus I've just realised that I threw the syringe away (I think without even opening it) !

New syringe and tube on it's way from Amazon via China 😯

What do you guys use to draw off samples from your dj's or small necked FV's as in my case?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah I only measure the fg when I bottle, then I just siphon a bit into the trial jar. Unless I have reason to think fermentation hasn't worked properly I never bother using the hydro as a guide to fermentation completeness.

I used to. Then I just santised the hydro and chucked it in the fv. Take a flash photo on phone so you can zoom in and get a good reading. Then fish it out holding the bit that stays above the surface. Easier than fannying about with jars and turkeys etc. I don't see that there's any increased risk of infection if the hydro is properly sanitised.

Doh, just realise this is in wine. I'm going on about beer. Probably hard to chuck hydro in demijohn!

I use a very delicate glass wine thief, which I thought was plastic when I bought it, but using it makes me feel all sciencey. Sampling is my favourite part! A sneaky little taste of heaven when I do the s.g. :whistle:
On that note I'll add that my mead sample was almost too nice...shame it has a stuck ferment : (

turkey baster here... the weak spot is the seal between bulb and body. you may find you can rejuvenate yours with a healthy wrap of ptfe tape round the neck of the body to bulk it up a tad and make a good seal with the bulb again..

or if sanitation of the tape is a concern try using ptfe as a wrapping tape around the bulb/body seal once its sanitised and reassembled.

Yeh that was exactly it Fil, as a temporary measure I taped it up so I could use it one last time. I liked the idea of taking the bulb off to clean it so it's now consigned to the bin... was only a few quid anyway

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Think mine was Sub £ from wilco ;) with my brewers head on its a good idea to strip and clean/sanitise the turkey baster i noticed mine is on its way out too due to repeatedly pulling apart ;), when its dead i will just replace it ;)

if using a 'disposable' plastic syringe, And the scale on its side is useful. consider varnishing over or sellotaping over the black scale markings. as the syringe is designed for single use and not expected to be washed and reused the scale wont stand upto multiple washings very long and without protection will soon disappear.

Latest posts

Back