Festival Landlords finest Bitter - hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS29Brewer

Reaction score
OK arrived at day 5 and instructions recommends adding the hops, to the brew.

Activity has fallen off and SG 1012 so seems reasonable to add the hops, only I don't have second FV to use (it recommends adding hops then filtering into second bucket).

So I used the muslin bag provided as a container for the hop pellets, to make a home made tea bag, then added it to a cup of boiling water. Then added all of above to brew after it cooled for 15 mins.

Idea is that I don't have to strain the hops later, also I can remove them if primary drags on too long.

Can anyone see downside to this? :doh: Or is it likely to work just fine? :thumb:

---
p.s. a small sample does not taste anything like Tim Taylors Landlord :-( but it did taste OK.

Tastes nothing like it when finished either. Just to pre warn you. I did this as one of my first brews year or so ago. Took a while to get tasting nice after fermentation. But ended up ok in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tastes nothing like it when finished either. Just to pre warn you. I did this as one of my first brews year or so ago. Took a while to get tasting nice after fermentation. But ended up ok in the end.
I have one of these about three weeks on from bottling/PB. The only difference to the kit I made was to use a SN 1698 culture. At present nothing special. How long does it take before it matures?

OK arrived at day 5 and instructions recommends adding the hops, to the brew.

Activity has fallen off and SG 1012 so seems reasonable to add the hops, only I don't have second FV to use (it recommends adding hops then filtering into second bucket).

So I used the muslin bag provided as a container for the hop pellets, to make a home made tea bag, then added it to a cup of boiling water. Then added all of above to brew after it cooled for 15 mins.

Idea is that I don't have to strain the hops later, also I can remove them if primary drags on too long.

Can anyone see downside to this? :doh: Or is it likely to work just fine? :thumb:

---
p.s. a small sample does not taste anything like Tim Taylors Landlord :-( but it did taste OK.
I am sure you are aware that the small sock that came with the kit is meant to go over the end of your siphon tube at bottling to filter out the hop particles having chucked them all into your brew. However if you have used it to keep the hops together in the dry hop in your brew, you may find that there is insufficient space for the hops to move about in the brew and give up their flavour and aroma. The muslin bag I use for this about 250mm square.
You have a few options imo
1. Carry on regardless, but run the risk of a poor dry hop
2. As 1 but swirl your FV say twice a day to move things about for all but the last two days of your dry hop (this allows the yeast to settle)
3. Dry hop for longer.
4. Fish out the sock and empty the hops back into the brew. This obviously comes with some risk of contaminating your brew, but provided everything is sanitised that comes into contact then the risk is reduced. You would then use the sock again for the purpose it is intended (having boiled it to sterilise before use)

I have one of these about three weeks on from bottling/PB. The only difference to the kit I made was to use a SN 1698 culture. At present nothing special. How long does it take before it matures?
I made one of these about eight months ago, and I've just finished drinking it. Frankly I can't say there was any really noticeable change over the period. I think I dry hopped for a long time with this one, maybe a week / ten days. Took a few weeks to smooth the hoppiness out a bit but over the longer period didn't notice much beyond better carbonation and head retention.

Thanks for the responses, most helpful.

Hops been in for three days now (day 8) and already down to SG 1009. Will see if it drops some more before bottling.

I can really taste the hops coming through (taste from hydrometer sample jar). So think the tea bag has done the job OK, and I'm pleased with the flavour result, it should produce a nice pale ale ... albeit it does not taste anything like TT Landlord, so if you're looking for a clone keep your money in your pocket.

Latest posts

Back