India Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
Felt the urge to re-stock tonight, whilst drinking one of my last few Black IPAs. I fancied making another, but they didn't have any Carafa III.

I had a pint of Beavertown Holy Cowbell India Stout a few weeks back, so I thought I'd buy the necessary to make a hoppy American Stout instead.

I've come up with this so far, won't make it for a couple of months, but welcome any opinions.

20ltr

OG 1064
FG 1013 (think this will be higher)
IBU 65
SRM 41
ABV 6.7%

5kg Weyermann Pale
350g Roasted Barley
200g Crystal Medium
200g Chocolate Malt
150g Flaked Barley

25g Magnum 60min
25g Amarillo 20min
25g Amarillo 5min
75g Amarillo 0min
100g Amarillo 7 day dry hop

Ferment with US-05

Yea I know what you're thinking with oats and barley, but if you reign both in a little I think it should be ok.
Flaked barley is a little like using carapils I think, but carapils is better suited for a pale whereas the barley is better in a stout..?
I love the effect oats have on a beer, that thick milkshake like texture, I've used them in my latest pale (Mikkeller recipe) and it's pretty impressive. That texture in a stout is awesome.

Yea I know what you're thinking with oats and barley, but if you reign both in a little I think it should be ok.
Flaked barley is a little like using carapils I think, but carapils is better suited for a pale whereas the barley is better in a stout..?
I love the effect oats have on a beer, that thick milkshake like texture, I've used them in my latest pale (Mikkeller recipe) and it's pretty impressive. That texture in a stout is awesome.

Yeah, just bottled my oatmeal stout and it's nice and heavy, helped by the fact that it finished a bit high. Think it will be a one bottle every now and again beer, not one I can have a few of!

Back