BIAB American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keviebaby

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, got my 1st BIAB All Grain batch done today. 1st all grain I've done in a loooonnnng time and I really enjoyed it.:thumb:
Got an American Pale Ale mashkit with the BIAB starter set from The Homebrew Company. 5.5Kilo of grain and 4 hop additions. Heated up 19litres of water to 70C and doughed in. Temp settled at 67C, spot on.
Checked after 30 minutes and had to add another 1.5L of hot water to bring it back up to 67C. Just lagged the Peco boiler in a thick towel so definitely need to think about some better insulation.
Drained the bag and dropped it into another bucket with a further 8.5L of water and put the wort on to boil.
All went well, came up to boil in around 35minutes and I boiled for 1 hour.
I was going to no chill but I got off my lazy backside and got some fittings to connect some hose to the immersion chiller, banged the chiller into the boil for the last 15 mins and once finished it chilled down to 30C in 25 minutes.

Just waiting for temperature to come down another few degrees before I pitch the yeast (Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast)

Efficiency wasn't brilliant, target SG was 1.051 and I got 1.046 but I hit my volumes spot on, 22.5L in the fermenter.
The sample I took for the gravity was crystal clear once the trub had settled down.

Time from start to finish was 4hours 55 minutes and I was able to do it all in the kitchen.

All in all I am well pleased. I started homebrewing again at the end of Feb and have done a couple of kits (St Peters Golden Ale and Milestone Crusader) but I'm not overly impressed with them. I remember my brews from the past being a lot better so fingers crossed for this.

Cheers,
KG

Well done, sounds pretty successful, a few points of efficiency isn't theend of the world and you will find ways of getting it better!!

Back