AG recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cqr

Reaction score
How's this look I got the ingredients today
But still not sure, this will be my first AG shall I brew it ??????

image.jpg

Looks very tasty. My one note of caution would be the amount of speciality malts you've got. That will give you a lot of un-fermentable sugars so expect quite a sweet finish and probably lower attenuation than has been suggested.

You could either cut back the amount of crystal but that would affect the colour which you might consider important in a red IPA. Alternatively mash at 65 degrees for the duration to get a more fermentable wort and drier finish.

Looks good. I'm looking to do my first ag soon. Just need a new element for my HLT.

I'm confused by the mash on your recipe. Do you need to add more water after the allotted time, or empty out the old water and replace the water?

M

I'am going to do a full boil, all the water go's in the kettle at once
Biab
I will adapt this recipe a little to match my 70 litre kettle
And F it up no doubt, but it's a learning curve

As I mentioned, that amount of crystal will leave you with a very very sweet beer and lower alcohol than planned.

You could half the crystal and it would still be quite a lot but within the bounds of a normal beer. To keep the colour you could up the amount of black patent, or just leave it as is for a more traditional IPA.

350g of dark crystal is plenty and the general rule of thumb is no more than 10% speciality malts.

I agree with all the above. For a 20L brew you should be looking at max 200 grams of 60L crystal. Otherwise you will end up with something very very chewy (sweet). Also your IBU's (bitterness) looks very low. You want something like 10-15g of your citra in at 60 mins left of the boil. Mainly to give you the right balance of bitterness and also to preserve your beer.

If this is your first AG brew then maybe go to the brewed recipe section of the forum and pick a nice simple SMASH out of there and use some of the ingredients you have?

If not a simple one to go for with your BM would be.

4.5kg of MO (maybe 100g of crystal 70L if you like)

15g of citra - 60 mins
20g of Columbus - 30 mins
25g citra - 2 mins
25g Columbus - 2 mins

30g Columbus & 30g citra - dry hop for 7 days

Mash in - 40oC
Protein - 51oC 20 mins
Sac - 64oC for 70 mins
Mash out - 76oC for 15 mins

Boil - 70 mins

Chill and add yeast Job done [emoji1303]

Excuse me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just spotted that you are using the first wort setting in Brewers friend. My advice is don't, unless you plan to fish the hops out when it comes to the boil.

This setting only accounts for the hops being in the wort for 20 minutes, where as my understanding is that first wort hops go in whilst the wort is coming to the boil and stay in for the duration. If this is what you are intending to do then make your first hop addition an 80 min boil as the hops will be bittering the wort as soon as it is over 80 degrees.

In my mind first wort hops should lead to more bitterness as the hops are in hot wort for longer but this isn't the case with Brewers Friend.

Even if you set it to a 60 minute boil for the first hop addition it will up the IBUs significant. This will likely bring it more in line with a typical American IPA level of bitterness. 40 IBUs is at the low end for the style but fine for an English IPA.

The grainbill on the clone that Northern Brewer sell (I assume provided by Jamil) is:

78.5% Maris Otter
7.8% Munich
5.9% Caramel/Crystal 40L
2.9% Victory (Not widely available in UK, biscuit is similar
2.9% Caramel/Crystal 120L
2% Pale Chocolate

90 minute boil recommended, this should give 1.064 OG

As I've only got these ingredients I'am going to brew, with some changes
I'am going to take hoddy's advice on the hops
Also going to reduce the crystal to 250 g
As this is is biab I'am going to for for a single tempreture mash
Any other suggestions would great, please