House Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Another episode in my quest to make a Beer Inspired by Mansfield Bitter, Considering my last attempt with crystal malt was too sweet, this time I've changed the coloured malts to chocolate.

Malts and Fermentables
3kg Maris Otter Pale.
100g Chocolate Malt
500g Invert sugar (golden syrup)

Hops
50g Fuggles @ 60mins
5g Progress @ 60 mins
15g Progress @ 20 mins
5g Progress @ flameout

Fermented with Wilkos gervin ale yeast (GV12)

Hopefully this will build upon the sucsess of my last brew, a smokey porter with rauch malt, chocolate and black patent. After two weeks in the barrel, its tasting good. Relatively dry and chocolatey, I just with I could remember the proportions of ingredients...

I've got a smoked porter in the FV at the mo too. Mine is basically the recipe from GH's book with some oat malt and made with styrian dana hops instead of whatever is in the book. I also upped the IBU's to 33 as I felt his reciepe was too low.

Have you used Golden Syrup before? If you haven't, be careful pairing it with Wilko/notty yeast as your beer may end up too dry. I did a honey porter with notty and whilst it was nice it was much drier than what I wanted.
However, I haven't long bottled a bitter that I put GS in. The reason I put GS in was because I was using MJ Dark Ale yeast which has a medium attenuation (about 60%-70%) so I wanted some simple sugars to dry things out. The combination of the GS and MJ DA yeast have balanced each other out perfectly and the beer has got a lovely creamy flavour which I'm not sure is from the Styrian Wolf hops i used, yeast or GS (or some combination) as I've never used the first two before

Indeed I have, although last time was in tandem with Fullers ESB yeast, and a load of crystal. Although I agree that this could be a rather dry beer with this combination of yeast and fermentables.

Wait and see, I guess!

Latest posts

Back