And now for something...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
That goes BANG!

I go clap pigeon shooting as much as I can, but it was cancelled today. :-(

But wait, what's that I hear my friend say, it's guest day at his shooting club and I can come along.

SWEET!

In the car he tells me he's selling his WW1 SMLE .303 and he's bought it along today to try out for the last time.

I give you, my day at the range.

IMAG2613.jpg

IMAG2612.jpg

IMAG2614.jpg

A black powder pistol that my friend had recently sold, but the gent who bought it from him was kind enough to let me have a go. Very smooth and not as muck kick as you would think.

I belive it was .45 , 6 shot

IMAG2727.jpg

The .303 SMLE Canadian of origin, made under licence somewhere, stamped BNP that's British Nitro Proofed not Nick Griffin.

Ten shot box magazine. Although since it was made in 1917 the bolt is a little worn and the springs not so good in the magazine. The carrier doenst always pick up a round. So single shots where better.

Shooting hand loads. At half the propellant. Cause this thing is loud and kicks.

Thinking of it now, as this is a part of history. I wouldn't have liked to hold this all day in the cold, shooting hundreds of rounds. My hand hurts just from shooting 40 or so rounds!

Fair play to those guys.

Lest we forget.

IMAG2617.jpg

IMAG2729.jpg

IMAG2730.jpg

And......

A guy let me and my mate shoot this!!!!

AR-15 in 9mm. It's a thumb catch operated bolt. So thumb the button, you hear and feel the bolt drop. Fire. Thumb the button....etc etc

The guy had a 50 round drum mag for this to!

IMAG2733.jpg

The .50 cal Barrett M107 is what you want now thats a weapon !

Great thread, i bet that is one expensive hobby.

The range fees were very good 10 quid for the lane. We had two. .22lr is cheap as chips. But easily go through them, as you can see by the state of the floor ;-)

All the other guns were hand loaded, so price is different for each type of round.

However you need to buy the press and dyes to load the bullets.

Hence why people scramble when the range master tells you it's safe to change targets. Get that brass back!

Not cheap no. But A LOT of fun.

I spent around 40 quiud.

The company I work for makes the polymer magazines for Barrett. There's a range in London that has them ;-)

One day!

I have used many .50 cal sniper rifles but the Barrett is my favourite all time

I had a go at clay pigeon shooting many years ago in the days when all guns were side by side, my uncle has a single barrel 3 shot (i think) one now, how things have moved on.

I had a go at clay pigeon shooting many years ago in the days when all guns were side by side, my uncle has a single barrel 3 shot (i think) one now, how things have moved on.

Yea that's known as a semi ;-)

Oh yea... Automatic. Semi automatic. :-)

All looks highly dangerous to me! :-? Are you sure your not an American in an Brummies body BB?

Seriously though (iirc) forumite @Rodwha (who is an American in an Amercans body ) is seriously into his black powder firearms. There was a thread about his shooting shenanegans quite a while back. I was flabbagasted to learn that in some American states black powder firearms aren't even considered firearms and anyone can have them without a liscence

All looks highly dangerous to me! :-? Are you sure your not an American in an Brummies body BB?

Seriously though (iirc) forumite @Rodwha (who actually is an American) is seriously into his black powder firearms. There was a thread about his shooting shenanegans quite a while back. I was flabbagasted to learn that in some American states black powder firearms aren't even considered firearms and anyone can have them without a liscence

I think that's down to the fact that if you don't know what your doing. The only real danger is to yourself. And on account it takes a good minute for a well trained marksman to load a muzzle loader. For one shot. The chances of becoming a new world leader are slim.

The pistol took about 10 mins to load. Part of it involved felt soaked in lard. Mmmmm

I think that's down to the fact that if you don't know what your doing. The only real danger is to yourself. And on account it takes a good minute for a well trained marksman to load a muzzle loader. For one shot. The chances of becoming a new world leader are slim.

The pistol took about 10 mins to load. Part of it involved felt soaked in lard. Mmmmm

Just taking the mick ;) (but you knew that didn't you) In the last thread about guns and shooting I learned that it's quite a popular hobby. Not just on ranges but iirc your allowed, in the uk, to shoot quite a wide range of small animals and birds (in the correct seasons)

Just taking the mick ;) (but you knew that didn't you) In the last thread about guns and shooting I learned that it's quite a popular hobby. Not just on ranges but iirc your allowed, in the uk, to shoot quite a wide range of small animals and birds (in the correct seasons)

You can. But you need permission of the land owner, you need the police to check the site, you need insurance. Etc etc.

So the range is a better option. There are plenty of air rifle and shotgun ranges dotted around. This place had all 3 ;-)

I'm not an American, but I do wish our laws were not as complex.

You can. But you need permission of the land owner, you need the police to check the site, you need insurance. Etc etc.

So the range is a better option. There are plenty of air rifle and shotgun ranges dotted around. This place had all 3 ;-)

I'm not an American, but I do wish our laws were not as complex.

I imiagine they're there to stop crazy people getting hold of fire arms and doing untold damage. Not being a shooting enthusiast I'm kind of glad that's it's not easy to get hold of firearms. Anyone who is genuinely interested in the hobby/sport would be willing to go through the hoops (even though I imagine it's a PITA) but I think it would put off the type who isn't genuinly interested

From what I heard today, it's more about having guns that are chambered in lower calibres than intended. Or having certain kinds of mechanics in the action so that it conform to EU regulations. Like the thumb bolt on the 9mm.

The hoops are mostly monetary. That's the biggest expense for most of them.

Edit. I suppose what I'm saying is that a gun is a gun, in the wrong hands it's never going to end well. Why introduce silly rules?

Latest posts

Back