Hi from Derbyshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibor

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a recently retired auld bloke who has made intermittent attempts at home brewing (from kits) throughout my life with, it has to be said, indifferent results. The stuff always had a 'home-brew' flavour which overwhelmed the differences of style claimed by the kits. Now I have more time I'd like to have a more serious go at brewing. I've also got more space than I ever had before - the place I'm in now used to be a pub and has two cellars which are 'my space' - my other half laying claim to the rest of the house obviously!
I've had a look around the site before making this post, but most of it is over my head - what I really want is a guide for a raw beginner, so any pointers to books or other websites would be most welcome.
My favourite commercial ale at the mo is Thornbridge's Jaipur IPA, but I also like well hopped lagers.
Regards, Robin

Hi robin welcome to the forum. Where in Derbyshire are you from? I'm living near glossop. Bit of a newbie myself two kits under my belt and two all grain with my biab setup.

Hi robin welcome to the forum. Where in Derbyshire are you from? I'm living near glossop. Bit of a newbie myself two kits under my belt and two all grain with my biab setup.
Hi Stigman, thanks for your welcome. A bit further south than you, I'm in Wirksworth near Matlock, but I know Glossop - at one time I was looking at settling there. It's a nice part of the country.
Robin

I am in Belper so know Wirksworth area.

Regards books I like the Graham Wheeler book (both editions) gives process from start to finish.

How to section usually has pretty good step by step guide with pics (is where I reassured myself of porocesses).

Think it was this post I used http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=314&highlight=Grain

Though first brew I tried was the extract brew in Jon Palmer's how to brew (online).

Try homebrew company extract and all grain kits... recipe determined by someone else and the give great results.

Welcome.
If you need a refresher on kits to get going again try this
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526
And if you do start up on kits again you will find they are much improved since when you last probably had a go.
There are plenty of reviews in the kit review section, but Coopers kits are pretty much bullet proof and the yeast works well, and if you like the 'New World' citrussy beers then try the Youngs American range, I can recommend the APA and the AIPA
And finally I have links with Wirksworth too :thumb:

Thanks for further welcomes - I've ordered up Graham Wheeler's 'Brew Your Own British Real Ale' which hopefully will give me the info I need to get started. No doubt I'll be back when I've actually brewed something! It's encouraging to hear that kits have improved - probably 35 years since I last tried with one. I guess that's the way to start, but I'll see what Wheeler's book says.
Robin.

Latest posts

Back