How long before drinking an IIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Oi oi saveloys,
How long would you give a double IPA in the bottle before drinking?
Og of 1.064, Abv of 6.5% and fermented with wlp023 burton ale yeast.
It's been two weeks in the bottle and I've just squeezed all 60 odd (330ml) bottles into my beer fridge.
I now have the worrying problem of having too much beer, I can't fit it all in there (I know, it's terrible) so am thinking about getting stuck into it, too early?

I have had 2 of my hbc dipas now, they were very good but still quite cloudy.

US hopped beers I find are OK after 2 weeks. As they're only small bottles, I would cracked one open in the interests of research.

Research you say?
You make it sound like... like a responsibility almost..?

And you really need to try one each day just to make sure they are not going off...
All in the name of research you understand. Then for the next brew you will know the optimal conditioning time....sorted :lol:

Yea, it's not ready! Lol!
I think because of the Burton ale yeast. If it was California ale yeast it might be ready. Hops are masked by hot alcohol flavour.

Have you used it with high gravity wort?

Most of my ales are around 5.5 /6% the biggest issue with 023 is the time it takes for ales to clear, i have used it on my last 4 IPAs and can drink them normaly quite soon after bottling but i have never like i say had the alcohol burn taste

Yea, it's not ready! Lol!
I think because of the Burton ale yeast. If it was California ale yeast it might be ready. Hops are masked by hot alcohol flavour.

You should have waited, we did tell you!

It's not just harshness of the dry hop is it? Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs.

You should have waited, we did tell you!

It's not just harshness of the dry hop is it? Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs.

I don't think so... It just tastes very green, and the alcohol is clear to taste. I have only just put them in the fridge after two weeks at room temp, give it another week in the cold and I reckon it'll be good to go :thumb:

2-3 weeks in fv then 10-14 days in bottle at 21-23 degrees. fridge for 3-4 days it's drinkable then or fridge for 2-3 weeks for a clearer beer. there's a trade off between ageing the higher abv beer vs losing hop taste and aroma. 6-10 weeks from start of fermentation seems to be my favourite time to drink them.

2-3 weeks in fv then 10-14 days in bottle at 21-23 degrees. fridge for 3-4 days it's drinkable then or fridge for 2-3 weeks for a clearer beer. there's a trade off between ageing the higher abv beer vs losing hop taste and aroma. 6-10 weeks from start of fermentation seems to be my favourite time to drink them.

Righto, this is my first high gravity ipa so its all new, but that makes sense to me, thanks mate.

I'd be leaving it 6 months at least for that strength it'll be amazing and criminal to leave it too little.

After a couple of weeks in fridge remove it and stick somewhere handier then just move a few in to chill as you desire.

Latest posts

Back