wort temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nala

Reaction score
I am very new to Brewing but have done quite a bit of research before starting my first brew. The coolest place in my home is a corner of one bedroom that shows 21- 22 deg so I have chosen this for placement of the FV. I have installed a thermometer inside the FV. The room temp shows 21.5 deg but the wart temperature is 23.5 , the temperature is pretty constant but worried that this temp is to high. I am brewing woodfords Wherry with s04 yeast , so far everything seems fine , is on second day and bubbling away merrily. Thanks for reading.

Fermentation temps are normally a few degrees higher than room temp. S-04 needs to be nearer 20c really and 23.5c is a bit high.

If you can't move it anywhere cooler, a wet towel and a fan is an effective method of cooling a couple of degrees.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply , no were in house any cooler , will need a wet towel and fan permanently cos same temp day and night .A bit to much work to keep towelling etc.

Is the brew likely to fail , or should I carry on and see what the results are.

It will work, just that particular yeast will give off flavours at that temp. I'd try to use yeast that works at higher temps for future brews. US-05 is good up to 25c or Mauribrew 514 works up to 30ish.

The beer has been fermenting for approx. 14 hours , will it be ok to move , will moving help to rid off flavours or is it too late for that know ??

Don't be scared!
Even if you can't bring the temp down I guess the result will more than please you.
Brewing is quite a robust process and small variations in value are unlikely to spoil a brew.
Remember we don't work under lab conditions.

Thank you for the response . I have read so much about the importance of cleanliness & temperature control -- the highish temperature to start with scared me. Anyway it was moved yesterday and is now in the toilet , not literally lol. It is the only room without a radiator and is around 19 deg. Wife not to pleased because you can just open the door enough to enter.

Latest posts

Back