Jay's Ultra Fiery Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR2Jay77

Reaction score
So the show season is starting up and along with it we have the traditional Chilli challenges. I have already done the Nitrous Cider but that won't be ready until the show in September....Time to break out a new recipe and spice up some ginger beer with a bit of Ghost Pepper ;)

475g fresh ginger - peeled and grated
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
500g Light Brown Sugar
2 lemons - zest and juice
2 limes - zest and juice
1 orange - zest and juice
2tsps Yeast Nutrient
2 dried Naga chilli peppers
1 cinnamon stick
Bottled Water
1tsp Glycerin
Yeast
1tsp Pectalose

Method -

1. Grate the ginger and put in a large saucepan

T9EVdan.jpg

2. Zest lemons, orange and limes and add zest into the pan

ABY9GcM.jpg

3. Juice the lemons, oranges and limes and add juice to the pan
4. Put whats left of the lemons, oranges and limes into the pan discarding the pips into the bin.

fc8plFB.jpg

5. Add the cinnamon powder and ground ginger
6. Break up and add 1 of the dried chilli peppers

vnHogH6.jpg

7. Add water so that it is just enough to cover the items in the pan
8. Bring to boil
9. Turn heat down and add in the sugar mixing until it dissolves fully
10. Simmer for 25 mins
11. Bring temperature down to 21 degrees C in cold water bath

ILuFF7V.jpg

12. Add Glyserin, Yeast Nutient and Pectolase to Demijohn with a small amount of water to dissolve
13. Strained liquid into the Demijohn

itqRYVM.jpg

14. Top up the DJ with water to 3/4 full

81mINVY.jpg

15. Place the cinnamon stick and the other dried chilli in the top of the DJ

TZt8DLm.jpg

16. Add the yeast

7xDXlvx.jpg

17. Once Initial whoosh has died down (2 days ish), top up to just below the shoulder with water

Yup, 5 litre demiJohn so a small batch.... OG is about 1.045 and I'm shooting for about a FG of 1.005 making it about 5.25%.....its all about the taste though and this one should be a belter

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Rather surprisingly, it seems the initial whoosh didn't last long at all.... The airlock is going mental but there is no head any more.... Might top it up tonight....

I do need to get some pet bottles though.... Wilkinson seem to have a 24 pack of the coopers ones for £8 at the moment so I'll grab a box of those :thumb:

So this has now fermented out and smells pretty damned good if I say so myself. I suppose the next stage is to rack it into a new demijohn and let it secondary ferment and mellow a bit, leaving the yeast to clean up after themselves.

Plan to make a solution of hot water and Spenda (or the Tesco equivalent which contains exactly the same ingredients at a third of the price). I'm guessing a good tablespoon in boiling water in the bottom of a fresh demijohn before racking the ginger beer should be sufficient to back sweeten the beer. As all fermentation seems to have stopped (there is no movement and it has started to lighten), I'd guess that there is no sugar left in there and it is seriously dry. Back sweetening it should pull it back.

I'll then leave this in the secondary for a week or 2 to clear through before adding 47g of brewing sugar in a solution before bottling in PET bottles. Then it's just waiting for it to carbonate, chill and enjoy :) I'm going to have to sample this before taking it to the show and sharing it about of course :thumb:

Looking good mate :) 47g of sugar seems a lot to prime less than 5 litres though. I usually prime 80 to 90g of sugar per 20 to 23l of ale.

Let us know how it turns out :)

Jay

With a Ginger Beer, I want a good fizz. An ale I'll use about 35g which gives a good carbonation for an ale at 5 litres :thumb:

According to the Brewers friend thingy, that'll give me a carbonation of around 3.0

Well, that's it, job done.....

Added a good tablespoon of sucralose to the liquor to back sweeten and left it to fall through for a week....Today was the day I bottled it up :)

46g of Brewing sugar was dissolved in water before the ginger beer was syphoned onto this priming solution. This was then bottled (and labelled as it is for a chilli challenge). Just got to wait for the bottles to go hard and I can then chill them off ready to drink :drunk:

pjLWraF.jpg

Nice one matey, I'm tempted to make a ginger beer type brew 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's worth the mess :thumb:

There is no denying the fact that it isn't the cleanest brew to make but it does taste amazing

Latest posts

Back