Bottle rinsers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the parts of bottling I do is half fill my bottling bucket with No rinse sanitiser (now I am on star san it wont be full of that). but it isn't time efficient

I know a few peopple use these bottle rinsers

518DW5byetL._SL1000_.jpg

Any good? I assume you dump a liter or so of sanitiser in...

The only thing that puts me off is they look like they dont give enough contact time.

I have an ordinary spray bottle which works great for most things.. you just spray the bottles like that? I am sure it works .. I just worry it isn't enough in a difficult shape? perhaps I am a little OTT

I use one of the bottle rinsers and it works a treat. Like you say put in some Strasan solution and rinse away. I plunge them a couple of times and then put on my bottle tree to allow any excess to drain off. I reckon they get sufficient contact time and I have not had any problems.
I also use the rinser for cleaning bottles using PBW solution, again a couple of squirts, leave for 10 mins then rinse with clean water. They do give quite a powerful spray

I use a bottle rinser and they are superb, HOWEVER....

If you use Coopers PET bottles, the neck is too wide and slides over the pump action of the rinser. I remedied this by removing the centre of an old CD and slipping that over the pump to act as a washer.

I wouldn't even say a litre just do it by eye one or 2 fingers measure in bottom. If you put too much in star San foam s alot so by bottle 20 you have a foaming mass which can we scupped off.

My routine is
Drink beer
Rinse n shake the yeast out of bottle
Wash bottles
Store
Rewash bottles in soda crystals drain on bottles
Transfer to beer to bottling bucket allow to sit for 30 mins
Get bottle washer out blast each bottle 3 times
Drain on tree and fill with beer

Just get a clear glass bottle and watch how powerful it is I seem to remember doing it a 750ml wine bottle and everything got coated

I just poor star San in a bottle then poor it out in the next bottle,40 odd bottles later still use it to then sterilise my caps etc

+1 for the rinser and star san.

I can only echo what others have said. A couple of pumps and your done. The jet is quite powerful and the star san usually foams up so I dont think contact time is a problem. Then I just put my bottles in the bottle rack

Thanks I see some people fit it on the bottle tree too.. Will def get one for a tenner..

just need to work out a good way of sanitising the auto syphon now.. I know it sounds silly but when you have a FV with 10 liters in you can just pump it around.. I suppose I could still do this with a water bottle and star san..

Moving to star san has been good (my other no rinse was fine tbf) but the fact you can recycle has just made me re think of how I can do things a little differently.. I do really like the spray bottle though so easy to just give something a quick blast even a surface if you have to put something down.

I use one. Much quicker bottling days now and never had a bottle infection. I usually do 4 or 5 pumps, possibly overkill and the starsan does seem to foam up quite a lot in the bowl, so I usually top up half way through.

fwiw i use a trigger spray bottle to squirt a couple of blasts up into a bottle...

I currently use a spray bottle with videne however it does ache your thumb when spraying 60 - 80 bottles at a time.
I am off today to buy one of these spray devices with a small bottle tree at a local HBS and will probably get some own brand starsan cleaner from malt miller.
It's only taken 10 years to bite the bullet and get one of these!

PS. You can pour the starsan from the vessel back into a spray bottle and use it for cleaning other things once the bottles are done.

The only thing that puts me off is they look like they dont give enough contact time.

Hi!
Starsan needs only 30 seconds contact time. I reckon with a bottle rinser and a bottle tree you would be fine.
I work 5 bottles at a time - half fill, pour out (back into jug) and pop on a sanitised cap. Then I fill the five and cap them with the bench capper.

I would go so far as to say I think these bottle rinsers are brilliant, especially when used on top of a bottle tree. To be honest they really do need to be used in conjunction.
I was daft enough to buy the 40 bottle tree when the 80 bottle version was only �£1 something extra. No wonder the guy in the shop looked at me quizzically when he confirmed I just wanted the 40 bottle, but I probably won't do larger brews than that.:doh:

Latest posts

Back