Advice on first cascade smash.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
First time having a go at biab, so wanted to keep things simple. Does this recipe look ok? I have brought 100g of cascade and 6 Kg of Maris Otter to play with.

5Kg of Maris Otter with a 60min mash at 66C

30g Cascade @60 mins

30g Cascade @20 mins

30g Cascade @5 mins

Using wirfloc (use a whole tablet?) after 40mins and anti-boil to try and keep everything under control!

any opinions?

I would cut out the hops at 20 mins, but that's just me personally. I take it you are doing a 5galln/23L batch?

I would do a 10 to 8 min. And the dry hop or add it to the wort when you chill it under 80 degrees.
What's your target volume? 23 liters? If so, 5 kg might be on the low side.

I would move the 20 mins hop addition to a flame out hop addition..

So basically when you turn the heating/ gas off when you cool and it gets to 80 degrees.. then stop cooling toss in the 30grams of cacasde.. Leave for 20 mins (called a hop stand)... then proceed cooling..

I'll what Covrich said. Other than that you're grand. Half a whirlfloc should do it.

The 80 degree hop stand works well. Gives a great aroma. Way better then just tossing them in at flame out.

5g @ 60min/FWH, 50g @ whirlpool, 45g @ dry hop.

Should give plenty of flavour and aroma to get the most out of the cascade, mash @ 65/66 for something nice and quaffable with around 30-35IBUs. With your current hopping schedule it looks more around the 50IBU mark, which is probably a little out of balance.

EDIT: Misread you were using whirfloc AFTER 40min, not at 40min. Either way, use around the 10-15min mark.

Thanks guys, some really great advice here. I will go with leave out the 20 min addition and go with the hop stand instead.

I would move the 20 mins hop addition to a flame out hop addition..

So basically when you turn the heating/ gas off when you cool and it gets to 80 degrees.. then stop cooling toss in the 30grams of cacasde.. Leave for 20 mins (called a hop stand)... then proceed cooling..

Seeing as he's a mod now I'm just going to agree with everything he says.

Though I think it's good advice in this instance.

Seeing as he's a mod now I'm just going to agree with everything he says.

Though I think it's good advice in this instance.

Steady on, I don't want people to actually take my advice, there is a danger people will believe I actually know what I am on about :lol:

I think they decided to promote me beyond my level of competence

Steady on, I don't want people to actually take my advice, there is a danger people will believe I actually know what I am on about :lol:

I think they decided to promote me beyond my level of competence

No-one would have realised if you hadn't blown your cover. It's like my job (advertising). You don't need to know what you're talking about, you just need to act like you know what you're talking about!

Latest posts

Back