Stopping fermention or backsweeten and keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholx

Reaction score
whats the thought on this.. been a bit quiet on the forum lately but ive been building up my brewery..lol so with new equipment and a new approach

ive baught a fermentation fridge and built a kegerator so have more options than before so i was going to cornie keg a batch of turbo cider and force carb with the aim of being able to control the sweetness, would it be better to stop fermentation by cold crashing and adding fermention stopper or let the cider finish to dry cold crash and then backsweeten.. anybody any thoughts?

cheers geoff

I think generally people back sweeten it..

I did a few TCs and on the fruit ones I added canderel.. I dont think that is the best though.

I let my TC fermentation bottom out and for some bottles then back sweetened with Lidl Cologran tabs (1200 for £1.39!) at the rate of 4 tabs per litre and it was just enough to take the dryness out of the cider without being noticeably sweet which was what I was looking for.

After trying the first bottle of saccharin when it came out I have never liked artificial sweeteners. I'm certainly no expert but would rather cold crash & drink it young before it dries off.
If you don't mind them then it seems either is possible, but I would like to avoid them if possible myself.

Back