turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and yes 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So using all apple just batch prime with sugar when racking off after ferment is it instead of the syrup?

3L of apple juice
1 tsp cider yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
top up to shoulder with water
after primary fermentation top up to neck with water
when finished prime with 1 tsp sugar per 500ml bottle, a week to ten days carbing up and then a month before drinking, but better after 2 -3 months though.
Enjoy!

3L of apple juice
1 tsp cider yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
when finished prime with 1 tsp sugar per 500ml bottle, a week to ten days carbing up and then a month before drinking, but better after 2 -3 months though.
Enjoy!

Do I rack off as normal after primary ferment?

I leave it in the DJ til its finished bubbling and down to around 1.000 SG and usually starting to clear then rack onto sugar solution and bottle. :thumb:

How come so many cider recipes [I looked at roddy's above] include tea? Surely traditional cider recipes don't include added tannin, just fermented apples?

Thinking about it I'll add my own answer, something to do with the absence of skin etc. from the pulp?

And what's the OG of plain unadulterated supermarket apple juice?

How come so many cider recipes [I looked at roddy's above] include tea? Surely traditional cider recipes don't include added tannin, just fermented apples?

Thinking about it I'll add my own answer, something to do with the absence of skin etc. from the pulp?

And what's the OG of plain unadulterated supermarket apple juice?

What do Tannin and Acidity do in Cider Making?

Tannin is found in the stems, seeds and skins of many fruits including apples. It is a natural preservative and so critically influences the ageing process of cider (as well as wine, leather and other products). High tannin ciders have a longer life than low tannin ones. Which is good, except that tannins are really only detectable to humans by taste. Tannins are bitter and/or astrigent; you taste the bitterness and the astringency creates a dry feeling in the cheeks. So the correct level of tannin is key to the balance of your cider. Get it wrong and your cider will taste too sweet (and go off quickly) or be too bitter (and last for ever to remind you...)

Different cider apple trees produce fruit with different tannin levels. Bramley apples (widely used commercially) have tiny amounts of tannin (about one fifth of what is required), while apples such as Sandford Jersey can have twelve times as much tannin as a Bramley (more than double what is needed in a medium cider).

As well as being astringent and bitter, tannins oxidise when the apples are milled giving your cider a deeper orange colour.

The second important property of a cider apple is acidity. This is much easier to explain than tannin. Everyone knows what a lemon tastes like. It is sharp, and here sharp equals acid. Apart from imparting a sharp edge to a good cider, acidity is also important in ensuring good fermentation. If acidity is too low your brew will be susceptible to fermentation diseases. If it is too acid, the fermentation will be fine, but the cider will make you wince. Good old Bramleys are hugely acidic - more than double what is needed, while an apple like Yarlington Mill has half the acidity you need for a good fermentation.

Kingston Black is almost perfectly balanced, but is very canker prone, so our advice is to never put all your cider eggs in one basket. Much better to choose a selection of trees that produce fruit you can blend to make your perfect cider(s)

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/tannin-and-acid-in-cider

3L of apple juice
1 tsp cider yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
Enjoy!

Not getting many pints out of dj about 8 is it?

3L of apple juice
1 tsp cider yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
Enjoy!

Do you put tannin in your turbo ciders?

No I gave up with tea bag additions in TC's ages back, I prefer them without, makes it taste crisper IMHO, and with careful siphoning I usually do 9 x 500ml bottles and have to top up the last inch or so of the bottles with water.

No I gave up with tea bag additions in TC's ages back, I prefer them without, makes it taste crisper IMHO, and with careful siphoning I usually do 9 x 500ml bottles and have to top up the last inch or so of the bottles with water.

Cheers i can only manage eight. My TC came out at 4% thought it would have been bit higher than that. Sg was 1.030 and fg was 1.000

Cheers i can only manage eight. My TC came out at 4% thought it would have been bit higher than that. Sg was 1.030 and fg was 1.000

just use all AJ for more strength matey, so you'll end up with more like 6.5% abv (if you prime it too)

just use all AJ for more strength matey, so you'll end up with more like 6.5% abv (if you prime it too)

Top up to the neck of dj with apple juice instead of water then . If i do 3ltrs and bottle of lowicz syrup leave it calm down then top up with more apple is it?

Back