Another Hello from Dorset

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddlecombe

Reaction score
Hi peeps, I am so new to this that I am still humming and ha'ing over which route to go down :) I am toying with going the whole hog and jump in at the deep end to mash me knackers and sparge me sprockets. So I'm busy reading and trying to get everyones words of wisdom before I start spending the old spondulics.

I saw someone else saying about a brewing club good Idea I'm in Wareham. We don't have a brew club that I know of but some of the best pubs around.:thumb:

Welcome to the forum.. Nice area, spent an 'interesting' weekend at the Square and Compass with a mate selling cheese from the shepherd's hut in the garden.

AG is really not that complicated and you don't have to get too technical, or spend a fortune, to produce good beer. It takes longer than a kit on brew day and you have to be a bit methodical but I think the results are worth it.

I have been working on an article on how to brew AG on the cheap in your kitchen. If you want I can send over a draft copy for you to have a look at before you decide which way to go. Just pm email address if interested and I'll send a PDF through.

Hi Muddlecombe,
I started with kits, skipped extract, and am doing all grain now. This worked well for me, as it allowed me to get familiar with sanitation and temperature control before having to worry about mash temps, sparge volumes, and all the trimmings that go with AG. Things can go wrong in myriad ways, and at least doing a few kits let me nail the basics first. As a bonus, it was a way to start with basic equipment before shelling out for a boiler. That said, people are quick to point out that small batches can be done on the stove (http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779). Either way, you'll catch the bug and hopefully make some wonderful beers :thumb:

Welcome, I will echo what others said.. I don't think doing a kit or two would do you any harm and you get the basic fermentation park of it (as well as sanitation) part nailed down..

There are decent kits around and you can get a decent pint from a few of them.

All grain is a different beast however it tops everything from a hobby and results point of view. But does require a fair bit more time investment (and some probably equipment) so its not for everybody. Once you get used to it, it is pretty straight forward but learning all that and the fermenting may be a bit daunting straight off the bat.. however if you're feeling brave go for it.. Sounds like you're going that way at some point anyway.

Welcome to the forum.. Nice area, spent an 'interesting' weekend at the Square and Compass with a mate selling cheese from the shepherd's hut in the garden.

Love the Square and Compass - make a special pilgrimmage there every year...

I love the square and compass but if you ever over this way try the Kings Arms north street in Wareham it is always winning CAMRA awards and best pub etc. Most of the time it has at least 4 special beers on, bootiful

Latest posts

Back