Mosaic brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
So ive finally got a massive boiler, burner etc and i want to do a mosaic brew.

Ive got some fuggles @ 8 aa (leaf)
and some mosaic @ 11.5 (pellets)

Some crystal and MO

any receipe ideas?

How much of everything have you got? I wouldn't combine Mosaic and fuggles if it was me. Mosaic works as a single hop brew.

@CreweBrewer has a Maris Otter Mosic SMaSH recipe. I just got the ingredients for it yesterday.

90% MO
7% wheat
3% xtal

1.050 - 65'C sach rest

Mosaic @ whirlpool to 35IBUs
Dry hop with remaining mosaic.

1469/1272/1450 - whatever your favourite APA yeast is.

Save the fuggles for a rainy day.

Fuggles & Mosaic? Yep, definitely - it's a mix I have tried (with Citra & Amarillo) with success.
But.... Get yourself a really clean, bittering hop (Warrior?)
You'll only need about 20g for a 25l brew - if you don't chill, then 15g is plenty. Use this for bittering - you won't waste your aroma hops.
How malty & how strong do you want your beer?
Try 4300g M Otter & 500g Crystal in your mash.
Boil wort for 60 mins with the Warrior, add 100g Fuggles at flameout. Keep the Fuggles in there for at least an hour (overnight, for me with my no-chill method). Ferment in a primary FV for 5-7 days. Krausen should have died down a lot after this. Only at this stage add your Mosaic, as dry hops. How much do like like a hoppy aroma? If a lot, add at least 66g Mosaic. 100g is getting really serious!
Well, that's what I'd do - many other ways to go about it!!! :)

Mosaic definitely works with English hops, but if it's first time using Mosaic (or any hop) nothing beats a good old single hop brew to really get a feel for what that hop can bring to the table.

Personally, I wouldn't be adding 5g/L of fuggles at flameout as I don't think it has the characteristics to be so aggressively hopped late, but as per all things brewing, it comes down to personal tastes and preferences. Styrians at 5g/L in an ESB though.. :drunk:

Mosaic is a lot like citra, where you can throw a huge amount at a beer and it always turns out delicious. There's a large amount of hop varieties where this isn't the case though.

90% MO
7% wheat
3% xtal

1.050 - 65'C sach rest

Mosaic @ whirlpool to 35IBUs
Dry hop with remaining mosaic.

1469/1272/1450 - whatever your favourite APA yeast is.

Save the fuggles for a rainy day.

By whirlpool do you mean when its boiling?

Whirlpool as in once you've finished boiling, let sit for a few minutes then when you give it a stir/pump to get the whirlpool action throw the hops in.

See here for a little info on whirlpooling.

Whirlpooling works better than a bazooka. Just give it a real good stir and go wash up other items. When you come back, all the trub is right in the middle. It's super convenient.

Would this work?
4.3kg MO
300g Crystal
100g Torrefied wheat

16g Mosaic @ 60 mins 11.5 aa pellet
16g Mosaic @ 20 mins 11.5 aa pellet
Then a dry hop of say 60 grams for 4 days?

Would this work?
4.3kg MO
300g Crystal
100g Torrefied wheat

16g Mosaic @ 60 mins 11.5 aa pellet
16g Mosaic @ 20 mins 11.5 aa pellet
Then a dry hop of say 60 grams for 4 days?

Yep it would work. But most things would!
I would say, don't boil Mosaic for 60 mins. You'll drive off most of the lovely, complex volatiles. Don't even boil them for 20 mins!
For your 60 min (bittering) hops use something well high alpha acid (Warrior for me - but otherwise Magnum??)

Hoppyland is right. Find hops you love for taste and aroma and use them for flame out and dry hopping. Get some cheaper high alpha hops for bittering. At 60 minutes, you get no taste or aroma.

Hoppyland is right. Find hops you love for taste and aroma and use them for flame out and dry hopping. Get some cheaper high alpha hops for bittering. At 60 minutes, you get no taste or aroma.

Ah ok, i have got loads of fuggles and some admiral to use up

Is that like a 15 liter batch? If it's a full 23 liters, might be a tad low on grain.
Dry hop with 60 grams would be fine but again, what batch size? If it's a 23 liter, maybe more into 80. Just my input.

For dry hop rates, it depends what you're looking for.

Low: 0.5-2g/L
Med: 2-5g/L
High: 5-10g/L

Is that like a 15 liter batch? If it's a full 23 liters, might be a tad low on grain.
Dry hop with 60 grams would be fine but again, what batch size? If it's a 23 liter, maybe more into 80. Just my input.

It was a 23 litre batch, i got an OG of 1044 so hoping it will go down to 1010-12 so get about 4%. i think the hoppy aroma so ill got with the higher amount :thumb:

Latest posts

Back