Help with nettle beer please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeb185

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am completely new to brewing so please be gentle! Ha ha.

I've had a go at making some nettle beer but think it has gone wrong some how.

The recipe I used for 6lt batch:
1 full bag of nettle tips
600g sugar
2 lemons
3 tsp of bakers yeast

It started off well and for the first day or so it frothed like mad as to be expected, but after about day 2 it's seemed to stop. At this stage it had a smell like sweet cider.

Today is day 5 and I took a sample to test the sg ( only got a hydrometer today )

It has a strong smell of alcohol but is a very week yellow colour.

The problem is it tastes like stale water with a tiny hint of ale after?

It's very weak and unpleasant.

Where has/ have I gone wrong?

Thanks

image.jpg

I've never had a nettle beer, but the recipe doesn't sound very appealing. It seems it would be thin because there is nothing there to add body, and bakers yeast isn't great for brewing. Still, its only day 5 and it should improve.

I've never done nettle beer but I put 6L of water and 6oog of sugar into my brewing software and had an OG of 1.038, by your numbers that would make the beer roughly 5%.

It sounds like you haven't given the "beer" time. Give it a week at least in the demijohn and then when you bottle, 2 weeks in the warm an 2 weeks in the cold. You may well find that the flavour developes.

It doesn't sound like an inspiring recipe but it may end up OK.

You'll be doing all grain beer before no time :)

I made nettle beer not long ago. My recipe was awful, way too much sugar. Anyway, your colour looks about right. Remember, there's only nettles in it somit will never go proper dark. If you wantmit fizzy you'll have to bottle it somthe co2 can disolve in the liquid. Best if you search on here a bit, theres loads of advice on bottling/carbonating :)

It willmalways be somewhat thin and have no body or crazy excitment to it. The point of making nettle beer is to have bit of a "nature beer" I guess. Try not to compare it to normal beer and it's quite nice :)

Oh and maybe get some brewers yeast...but once you do that you'll get all the other kit and get infected with the brewing bug. Happened to me a month ago and i started with 2l nettle beer...now I've got 23l IPA ans 23l ginger beer brewing :whistle:

Thanks guys that's a real help! I think I'll bottle it with some priming sugar tomorrow and see how it goes.

Funny you should say about the brewing bug, I've got all the ingredients ready to make a batch of the fiery ginger beer recipe from on here.

Hoping that will have a bit more of a punch flavour lol

Thanks guys that's a real help! I think I'll bottle it with some priming sugar tomorrow and see how it goes.

Funny you should say about the brewing bug, I've got all the ingredients ready to make a batch of the fiery ginger beer recipe from on here.

I did the fiery ginger beer last weekend. It's fermentinb like a whirlpool so I've got high hopes :grin:. Good luck with yours!

I did the fiery ginger beer last weekend. It's fermentinb like a whirlpool so I've got high hopes :grin:. Good luck with yours!

I'm really hoping for at least 7%, 8% if possible :) I want some knock out juice lol. Any tips for getting it more alcoholic?

I'm really hoping for at least 7%, 8% if possible :) I want some knock out juice lol. Any tips for getting it more alcoholic?

Dilute with vodka? :grin:

I only just started so others will know much better, but i believe you can just add sugar to increase the initial gravity. I think this was mentioned on here in the original fiery ginger beer thread. Logically I would have thought it would then take longer to ferment..not sure tho.

The fiery ginger beer is lovely. It can also be a bit thin, but 1tsp of glycerine per gallon can help with this. Tastes great though.

Dilute with vodka? :grin:

I only just started so others will know much better, but i believe you can just add sugar to increase the initial gravity. I think this was mentioned on here in the original fiery ginger beer thread. Logically I would have thought it would then take longer to ferment..not sure tho.

I have been reading quite a bit about but there doesn't seem to be a definite yes or no answer.....

The fiery ginger beer is lovely. It can also be a bit thin, but 1tsp of glycerine per gallon can help with this. Tastes great though.

Interesting, where can i get glycerine locally? supermarket or does it have to be from a brewing shop?

Do i add it before or after primary fermentation?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back