Defining beer styles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been wondering over the last few days how we come to the conclusion that a beer is a certain style; such as a lager, IPA, Amber Ale, Red Ale, Pale Ale, Mild, Bitter, etc.

It came about because a mate who loves traditional "real ales", says that the craft IPA's and Porters I enjoy are not proper IPA's and Porters.

So what criteria does a beer need to meet, to be given a correct term? I would guess aroma, flavour and colour are factors for the styles.

Preferably I'm looking for a source which gives defined standards for different styles.

I've been wondering over the last few days how we come to the conclusion that a beer is a certain style; such as a lager, IPA, Amber Ale, Red Ale, Pale Ale, Mild, Bitter, etc.

It came about because a mate who loves traditional "real ales", says that the craft IPA's and Porters I enjoy are not proper IPA's and Porters.

So what criteria does a beer need to meet, to be given a correct term? I would guess aroma, flavour and colour are factors for the styles.

Preferably I'm looking for a source which gives defined standards for different styles.

You could argue that real ale IPAs and porters aren't real IPAs and porters too.

I thought the whole point in an IPA was that the high ABV and hop content was so the beer wouldn't spoil on the boat to India - Deuchars (which is a favourite of mine BTW) at 3.8% and 35IBUs hardly falls into this category IMO.

Similarly, according the the Graham Wheeler book, modern porters are nothing like the original ones, which were a mix of mild and sour beers and were a translucent brown colour.

The BJCP will give you all the info you need

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Also if there a particular style your interested in e.g. brown porter. Google, Brown porter (style) guidlines and look for the BYO.com hit. They have really good articles and reciepe guidline on all styles

Wow that's a brilliant document! Distracting me from my work, and I have a deadline today!

That would explain it then..... camra think they alone define what a beer is, and are the main reason I drank lager for 35 years ( well the rubbish spouted by the snooty boorish 'real ale' prats in the 80's) that said they have partially been responsible for the range of beers we have available now, so not all bad

End of the day I think if you enjoy it who cares if it is a 'genuine' porter or ipa (as decreed by camra)?

You could argue that real ale IPAs and porters aren't real IPAs and porters too.

I thought the whole point in an IPA was that the high ABV and hop content was so the beer wouldn't spoil on the boat to India - Deuchars (which is a favourite of mine BTW) at 3.8% and 35IBUs hardly falls into this category IMO.

Similarly, according the the Graham Wheeler book, modern porters are nothing like the original ones, which were a mix of mild and sour beers and were a translucent brown colour.

Spot on, the term IPA seems pretty meaningless when its used on most real ales these days and more often than not doesn't match up to how the BJCP would define the style for English IPA. In fact a lot of 'craft' IPAs are probably more authentic in terms of strength, IBUs and hoppiness which for me is what differentiates an IPA from a Pale Ale or Bitter

Back