Guinness Commercial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't seen it in a while but you will remember the Guinness commercial about how they are reviving some of their old recipes. What I found funny is the scene where the two brewers look at the clarity of their beer in a beer glass, wearing lab safety goggles. Were those in case they break the glass or in case they spill some beer into their eyes?
Anyone got the web link for the commercial?

Whilst it may be a bit hammed up for the camera, it's good practice to always wear the lab specs in the lab. Makes it routine so you never forget and you never know what's going on elsewhere in the lab (someone could be doing abv by distillation and forgot to turn the fume cupboard on BOOM). Same logic applies to hard hats on building sites, they'll do nothing to stop you tripping and banging your head, they'll save your life if someone drops a bolt from scaffolding.

TBH I cringe whenever I go round small breweries, if you applied any of the best practices from H&S in other chemical processing plants they'd look a lot different (safety specs and hard hats for one!). But that doesn't fit in with the plaid shirt 'craft brewer' stereotype

The worst is fermenters. "I'll just open the lid of this big drum full of CO2 and peer in for the camera".

We had a story of 3 guys dying whilst inspecting a nitrogen blanketed vessel

1st guy leans in, passes out and falls in.
2nd guy climbs in to save him holding his breath, passes out
3rd guy wonders where the 2nd two went, passes out.

I fully agree with the H&S aspects of brewing, especially where large scale production is concerned. Every nose full of CO2 reminds me of that. Wonder where the brewing industry figures for casualties at work?

From some of the stories of brewing cider in France where the workers were allowed to drink as much as they wanted, I doubt anything happened after about mid day. :D

Different industries, different hazards but if you work there you learn what is dangerous pretty quickly.... I always remember the smell of cyanide. :whistle:

From some of the stories of brewing cider in France where the workers were allowed to drink as much as they wanted, I doubt anything happened after about mid day. :D

Allegedly, not just the brewing industry where nothing much happens post dejeuner, en Francais.

Back