pouring brew from pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissBrew

Reaction score
Hi!

So I've just poured my first ever home brew which I made from a kit. It's been in the pressure barrel for only 6 days but I thought I try it for educational purposes!

I expected little to no carbonation but when I opened the tap I got half a pint of head (lovely head btw, retains great!). How the heck do I pour my beer better? Too much sugar? Wrong technique?

It's an IPA and I primed with golden syrup.

WP_20160506_20_22_25_Pro.jpg

There's nothing wrong at all it always happens with the first few pints, pour slowly and top up be patient for the head to drop a bit then top up. I'd rather have a beer a bit over conditioned at this stage than under.

Slurp up the head and pour more. Repeat til you're satisfied with the head to beer ratio.

Other than open the tap a tiny amount and take ten mins to fill the glass, there's not much else you can do. It's pretty typical.

Thanks for your comments!

Glad to hear. I got a bit worried then. But I shall take your advice on board and simply drink more :lol:

Got to say, it's lush with the GS prime.

@Bicol49: might get a bit of tubing then. I'm not the patient kinda person!

I've found with my one good pb that having the tap about 90 degrees give or take 5 degrees is the sweet spot.

I generally open the tap to about 90 degrees and add some foam to the glass then reduce it an slowly fill the pint glass (I'm tempted to try the bit of tubing too).

Tonight's pint of youngs Scottish heavy while bottling.

20160506_214842.jpg

I've found with my one good pb that having the tap about 90 degrees give or take 5 degrees is the sweet spot.

I generally open the tap to about 90 degrees and add some foam to the glass then reduce it an slowly fill the pint glass (I'm tempted to try the bit of tubing too).

Tonight's pint of youngs Scottish heavy while bottling.

I'll go and try now! Gotta say tho, that's and amazing glass and brew looks great. Very stylish :thumb:

Guessing you are not in the UK, but for those who are they're available for £3 a pair at the range (also 10 for 12 swing top bottles).

Enjoy your brew.

Actually I'm still in the UK at the moment and down the range tomorrow! Thanks for letting us know :thumb:

I attach the bottler with a small section of tube to the barrell tap,stick that in the bottom of the glass and push your glass up to release the beer,works a treat:thumb:

Latest posts

Back