Leaky wooden cask

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squiddy

Reaction score
Okay, I think this is the right section for this..

I have recently bought an old 2 gallon cask on eBay, and have been soaking it for about 30 hours now. At first, I couldn't keep up with the water loss, so filled the bath and submerged it for a day. Now most of the leaks have stopped, apart from one.. At the bottom of one of the heads, there is a leak, between the head and the staves. I've given the metal ring a tap to try to tighten it up, but it still leaks. The cork stops most of it, due to it creating a vacuum, but that's not idea. At the moment it's losing 10ml per hour.

What do you think? Give it more time to soak, or does it need work?

Keep it soaking. I bought a large barrel as a water butt and it leaked for a bit but was watertight within a week.

If it's not right after a week of soaking it may need to come apart to reseal the ends.

Sounds like my last boat lol, wood will sweel a lot more than u think keep at it

That's okay then, I shall keep soaking.

I have a clinker beach boat which also leaks like a sieve! Hopefully I won't cure that by submerging it in water..

It never did seal, on its own. So to try to keep things more natural, I used bee's wax. I have it a rub all over, and heated it in, then heated the leaky end some more and melted a load of wax onto the seam, and let it set overnight. So far, so good. It's currently holding a mix of whisky, wine, and cheap supermarket mead, just to try it out.

I was an apprentice cooper 20 years ago.The groove in which the head sits is normally filled with rushes before the head goes in on a beer cask and these swell up and create the seal. Beer casks would then be painted on the end of the staves and over the stave/head joint (chime) with a very thick paint which completes the seal. Glad you managed to cure the leak. Breweries tended to have their own colour paints althoug red seemed fairly popular.
images

Latest posts

Back