London Bitter Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this on the go this morning:

London Bitter, est ABV 4.2%, 35 IBU, 16 EBC.

4kg Pale Malt
0.25kg Crystal Malt 90L
0.29kg Torrified Wheat

14g Magnum 90mins
8g Northdown 90mins
7g Challenger 90mins
12g EKG 10mins

1tsp Irish Moss 10mins

15L mash @ 65℃ for 90 minutes
17.5L sparge @ 75℃

BHE 69%

My recently cultured Fullers yeast is chomping at the bit and raring to go.

Sounds good, obviously a londoner yourself then, don't forget there are a few of us in London or nearby who will always help out with sampling:lol:

No, as it happens I'm a brummie!

Oh blimey:doh::lol:
Not to worry i have an aquantance who lives in Brum and i will be up west of there in July, so----------
Just hold onto a few pints and i will get em picked up:thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I noticed yesterday that fermentation of my London Bitter had ceased after 48 hours. Gravity was 1.012 so it's finished.

Fermentation wasn't too vigorous, so I was concerned it has stuck. Far from it, in fact there was about a 12 hour lag, so it wrapped up in 36 hours.

I'll leave it another 10 days then barrel.

First taste is good

Oh blimey:doh:[emoji38]
Not to worry i have an aquantance who lives in Brum and i will be up west of there in July, so----------
Just hold onto a few pints and i will get em picked up:thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Don't think it'll last til July sadly [emoji13]

I had a quick sample of this today. For a six day fermentation the beer is astonishingly clear. The yeast is so flocculant it has dropped out of suspension completely and fermentation has ceased altogether.

It tastes superb so I will barrel tonight and let it condition for a week to 10 days.

Taste wise, an initial malt, bitter flavour, then fruit and somewhat spicy from the hops followed by a sweet finish. Pretty complex compared to my usual pale ales.

Back