Pale Ale with Green Bullet and WGV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm planning to use the hops that are open in the freezer tomorrow. About 30g Whitbread Goldings Variety and around 48g Green Bullet. I always use a cheap bittering hop at 60 mins.

I have a selection of mainly English hops, unopened. Is WGV a good match for Green Bullet, or would I be better advised to use something else from Bramling Coross, Hallertau, EKG, Challenger, Progress, Bobek or First Gold instead of one of my two opened bags?

I'm planning to use the hops that are open in the freezer tomorrow. About 30g Whitbread Goldings Variety and around 48g Green Bullet. I always use a cheap bittering hop at 60 mins.

I have a selection of mainly English hops, unopened. Is WGV a good match for Green Bullet, or would I be better advised to use something else from Bramling Coross, Hallertau, EKG, Challenger, Progress, Bobek or First Gold instead of one of my two opened bags?

Depends on what hops you like really and what combos you have already chosen, what have you used the Green Bullet on in the past

Depends on what hops you like really and what combos you have already chosen, what have you used the Green Bullet on in the past

I used Green Bullet for my last Pale Ale, along the style of a Greg Hughes Single Hop ale, except that I used Herkules as the bittering hop.

I found green bullet to have a clean but strong bitterness and powerful limey flavour when used late, so of your English varieties I'm not sure which would go with it. I put some centennial in with it and got a pungently tasty pale. I think it's better paired with that sort of hop.

But it will still be beer and probably nice beer whatever you go with.

I have only ever used Green Bullit as a bittering hop usually in conjunction with other NZ hops such as Rakau, Motueka and nelson. I am planning just such a beer at the moment with a hint of acid malt to give it a bit of zing.

Just as an aside maybe it's due to my failure at Geography O level but I tend to keep hops in their national groups and use NZ with other NZ and US with US etc. Dont really want to start a global hop conflict in any of my beer by mixing them!
Does anyone else do this or are you happy to mix say German and US or NZ and English hops?

I have only ever used Green Bullit as a bittering hop usually in conjunction with other NZ hops such as Rakau, Motueka and nelson. I am planning just such a beer at the moment with a hint of acid malt to give it a bit of zing.

Just as an aside maybe it's due to my failure at Geography O level but I tend to keep hops in their national groups and use NZ with other NZ and US with US etc. Dont really want to start a global hop conflict in any of my beer by mixing them!
Does anyone else do this or are you happy to mix say German and US or NZ and English hops?

I do this to some extent. I'll happily mix say nz and USA but tend to keep English varieties to themselves

I tend to keep continents together. English mixed with German or Slovenian would be fine. Likewise Australia and New Zealand would be Ok. I've heard some people say not to mix hemispheres.! So anything American and European is fine together, but don't chuck any Oz or NZ in there.!

Thanks for the comments, here, guys :thumb:

Due to the skip on the front drive and SWMBO's desire to use it, today had no time for an AG brew with the new toy (a Grainfather). I did use up one of the last few Coopers kits, though, with a Belgian yeast (re-used slurry) from the Brewferm Xmas Ale I started in Feb.

Next weekend will possibly be another opportunity, what with the Bank Holiday and all.

I tried one of my 12 Xmas brew bottles today, to make sure it was not over carbonating :whistle:. It tasted OK, but not the finished product for sure.

I brewed today, since the hole in the back garden is a bit watery today.

The "new" base malt is little different in crush size to the Minch. Result is that not much water was flowing through the malt during the mash as the holes in the base got filled up with small bits of grain.

Did the sparge by removing the lid and sort of stirring the sparge water through the cylinder, moving the stuff on the bottom plate around a bit fairly gently. So yet another botch of a job. The wort was very cloudy, given that there was almost no chance for trubby bits to be filtered out by the recirculation during the mash.

Quite relieved to have got 65% efficiency in the FV. Doubly so, as the hops seemed to act as a very reliable filter. Even though it did take a long time to fill the FV, it was pretty clear wort. Trub in the bottom afterwards was pretty disgusting looking.

I brewed today, since the hole in the back garden is a bit watery today.

The "new" base malt is little different in crush size to the Minch. Result is that not much water was flowing through the malt during the mash as the holes in the base got filled up with small bits of grain.

Did the sparge by removing the lid and sort of stirring the sparge water through the cylinder, moving the stuff on the bottom plate around a bit fairly gently. So yet another botch of a job. The wort was very cloudy, given that there was almost no chance for trubby bits to be filtered out by the recirculation during the mash.

Quite relieved to have got 65% efficiency in the FV. Doubly so, as the hops seemed to act as a very reliable filter. Even though it did take a long time to fill the FV, it was pretty clear wort. Trub in the bottom afterwards was pretty disgusting looking.

To pick up a previous gf related conversation, did you use leaf or pellet hops, Slid?

To pick up a previous gf related conversation, did you use leaf or pellet hops, Slid?

Leaf hops - about 90g altogether, Herkules for bittering (17g) and what was left of the Green Bullet (44g) and the WGV (29g). Together, they formed a large blanket around the hop strainer in the bottom of the boiler.

I have just had a look around the web and it seems people get pump issues with both pellet and whole leaf hops. My own suspicion is that a fine grain crush causes the problems as it could be the small bits of grain that actually block the pump and cause issues with the mashing and sparging.

I recall having some issues when I used it before but I'd recirculated the wort through the chiller for ages before putting it into the fv which I think was the problem. The chiller is efficient enough that you can go direct to fv without recirculating, and presumably that shorter time means the pump gets less clogged.

I have mostly leaf hops in stock for about 8 brews but one pack of belma pellets, so we'll have to see how that goes. Maybe I'll see the pellet light...don't hold your breath though as I won't get round to that brew til the end of the year at the earliest!

This one finally got bottled today at less than 1.005. Tasted ok and the aroma was as billed.

The very low gravity is a bit of a puzzle. I blamed a Belgian yeast last time, via re-used bottles for yeast slurry.

Strange, but not a huge issue at the moment.

Latest posts

Back