AG5 - Wheat Beer thingymajig

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Right, mashing now is my 3 week wheat beer.

I've gone with :

1.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg Pale Malt
0.2 kg Munich
0.1 kg Carapils

10g Northern Brewer @ 60m
10g Amarillo @ 10m
15g Ahtanum @ 10m
20g Amarillo @ 0m
20g Ahtanum @ 0m
5g coriander seed @ 15m
1 orange, zested and juiced @ 15m
0.5 tsp Irish Moss @ 15m

Ill be no chilling and pitching tomorrow (maybe tonight if cool enough), but still haven't decided between US05, Nottingham and S33. Or... I've half a sachet of MJ M42 which could really do with being used up first. What do you reckon? Not bothered about clarity, as it's a wheat anyway.

It shows up when I click new posts :-)

Try using the open pack and another yeast for that real cloudy yeasty look ;-)

It shows up when I click new posts :-)

Try using the open pack and another yeast for that real cloudy yeasty look ;-)

Mixing yeasts? Is that a common thing? Could use the open one, half the US05, and then use the other half of the US05 on a hoppy Pale I was thinking of doing before I go away for the week. Then leave that fermenting while I'm away.

I'll tell you what, the hop debris in the sieve with the orange zest and coriander seeds in, was the nicest smell I've made yet since I started brewing. Amazing.

Is this like an American wheat?

Yeah, I've even called it Red Sun, as a play on Blue Moon and also as a reference to an album by a band I like.

Well, I pitched the M42 that I had left as it needed using. I added a little bit of yeast nutrient to help it get going. We'll hope for the best. M42 is pretty neutral, so it should be OK. OG after topping up to 10 litres was 1.047. I was expecting 1.049, so dropping 2 points after dilution is fine by me. Should end up as a mid to high 4's beer, which I'm happy with.

I am sure it will be fine.. Never done an American wheat so not really sure what the yeast is like but I bet it isn't half as funky and the Belgian/ Germans

Yeah, I'll save the S33 for a more classic European wheat beer and use the US05 in a hop forward APA or something.

I'm going to check on this tonight, see how its coming along. If it seems done, I was going to dry hop with a bit of amarillo and was thinking of using some more orange zest too. The only thing I'm worried about is the oils in the zest affecting head formation. Anyone had any experience of this? I know people do dry hop with grapefruit zest and so on, but how does it affect the foam?

Well, it's finished. It's down to 1.011, so I've stuck it in the garage to try and cold crash. Although by cold crash, I mean 15° rather than 19°. That's as close to cold crashing as I can get. I does drop a bit more during the night I suppose. Still undecided on dry hopping with amarillo or orange. I had a taste and it was damned fine as is, so I might just leave it be.

I wouldn't add anymore orange. Let the yeast give you some flavour too ;-)

No idea about head retention but I see where your coming from with the oils. Surely can't be good.

But it's wheat beer so......

I think Cold crashing is a bit overrated

Do you need it with a wheat beer anyway?? I guess since you haven't used a wheat yeast you might want to drop some of that out.. otherwise if it was like you say a European you'd probably not bother.. with them a lot of people roll the bottle and drump the trub in the glass

It won't be cloudy unless that yeast is a proper Weiss yeast. Unless you stir it up but not much point in that. Should be tasty tho

I was surprised how clear it was actually. That Amarillo was really coming through and I was getting the coriander flavour and orange aroma. It was more bitter than most wheats, but not in a bad way, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Was thinking about quite a bit of carbonation to get a nice big, wheaty head.

I was surprised how clear it was actually. That Amarillo was really coming through and I was getting the coriander flavour and orange aroma. It was more bitter than most wheats, but not in a bad way, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Was thinking about quite a bit of carbonation to get a nice big, wheaty head.

For my wheat beer I added 200g sugar in a solution to 21 litres

I added 50g of galaxy hops 5 mins after flame out and let steep for 15 mins before I added the rest of the wort. removed hops on day 5. carb tester tastes good ever if nowhere near enough carbonation. methinks this beer will need the full 2 weeks.

Yeah, I've even called it Red Sun, as a play on Blue Moon and also as a reference to an album by a band I like.

Well, I pitched the M42 that I had left as it needed using. I added a little bit of yeast nutrient to help it get going. We'll hope for the best. M42 is pretty neutral, so it should be OK. OG after topping up to 10 litres was 1.047. I was expecting 1.049, so dropping 2 points after dilution is fine by me. Should end up as a mid to high 4's beer, which I'm happy with.

Is it "blues for the red sun" ?

Latest posts

Back