How does this APA recipe look?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
OK gents, looking at doing this in the next couple of weeks and want a bit of opinion on it. Do you reckon ahtanum and mosaic will go together ok or will the mosaic drown the ahtanum a bit? Also, thinking of adding a third hop into the mix... maybe some nelson sauvin, but wasn't sure if that would go with the other two or not. Could always use some amarillo again, but people will think I'm addicted to the stuff.!

Oh, I'll be dry-hopping a bit as well, but forgot to add it to the recipe.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 10 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 13 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.037
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.05%
IBU (tinseth): 41.11
SRM (morey): 6.74

FERMENTABLES:
1.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (68.2%)
0.5 kg - German - Vienna (22.7%)
0.1 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 30L (4.5%)
0.1 kg - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.5%)

HOPS:
10 g - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.97
10 g - Ahtanum, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.21
10 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 12.93
15 g - Ahtanum, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Aroma for 0 min
10 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Looks pretty good to me. APA's really need a good balance, yours is about .80 bu:gu (off the top of my head without working out) so is nicely in the right range.
I don't know about the hop combo, but I suspect using them together would be nice.

I was actually considering dropping a couple of IBUs actually, somewhere in the 30's seems to be about where I like it. Although I am building myself up :D

Looks good but the mosaic will overpower the ahtanum though, depends if you want just a hint of it or reduce the mosaic and increase ahtanum.

Looks good but the mosaic will overpower the ahtanum though, depends if you want just a hint of it or reduce the mosaic and increase ahtanum.

Cheers mate, that was my concern with the recipe. I'll adjust the ratio of ahtanum to mosaic.

Not tried(tasted) mosaic and ahtanum together yet (both are in the session IPA I made yesterday though) but judging on the smell alone I would agree the mosaic will probably be quite dominant, the pack I opened yesterday was funky as they come! Ahtanum seems much milder. Your grain bill is going to give quite a full bodied pale so personally I wouldn't rush to drop the IBUs, 40ish isnt that much if you have a good quantity of sweet stuff in the mix to balance it out + an OG close to 1.05

Not tried(tasted) mosaic and ahtanum together yet (both are in the session IPA I made yesterday though) but judging on the smell alone I would agree the mosaic will probably be quite dominant, the pack I opened yesterday was funky as they come! Ahtanum seems much milder. Your grain bill is going to give quite a full bodied pale so personally I wouldn't rush to drop the IBUs, 40ish isnt that much if you have a good quantity of sweet stuff in the mix to balance it out + an OG close to 1.05

Cheers dude, so do you also reckon it would be an idea to drop a gram or 2 of the mosaic and up the ahtanum by a bit? Or would you leave the mosaic where it is and just increase the ahtanum?

That a fairly decent whack of hops already so I would probably do the first option myself but if you want BIG hop profile go for extra overall

OK, how does this hop schedule look:

HOPS:
10 g - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.97
14 g - Ahtanum, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.69
7 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.05
16 g - Ahtanum, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Aroma for 0 min
8 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.05%
IBU (tinseth): 39.72
SRM (morey): 6.74

I just checked the recipe for the APA we made for the Redhill beer festival in November 2015 for a 4 firkin batch we used:
200g Magnum 1st wort
250g Cascade 15 min
250g Mosaic 5 min
300g Ahtanum flame out
500g Cascade dry hop 3 days
It was a great beer and 2nd to sell out but the ahtanum was very subtle.

I would change the aroma drop-down to whirlpool on brewers' friend as it will give you the IBUs for your late additions. Won't make a huge difference but will knock you up a couple of points.

Latest posts

Back