What's your music taste like?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Following on from last week's "What are you listening to" thread, and because it's my other big interest other than football and brewing (and to entertain me on my commute), I thought I'd ask this.

Mine is quite varied, I like a bit of everything but mainly indie, rock, singer-songwriter and hip hop (although only either old school style like Ugly Duckling, J5, Run DMC, or artists/groups that play with a full backing band like The Roots and Common). The only genre I can say I don't like is dance, but I do like the Chemical Brothers, Moby and Fingathing (although they are more like instrumental hip hop) so I don't discount it completely.

I like discovering new music (and old music) and my discovery of streaming service last summer has opened my eyes to loads of stuff I would never have heard of before. Warren Zevon, Action Bronson and Neko Case have become big favourites recently, and I've been completely obsessed with The Allergies album since it was released on Friday.

I have an unhealthy obsession with most musicians named Ben (Folds, Kweller and Lee mainly, although I recently added Harper to the list) - I even named my son Ben.

The Barenaked Ladies have been my favourite band since I was about 13, with the odd deviation during my mini-mosher phase at school. The Stone Roses aren't far behind, having discovered them when I was at uni - finally getting to see them live in 2013 when my wife was pregnant with our daughter.

As well as the above, I count the following amongst my favourites: Pete Yorn, Johnny Cash, Laura Veirs, Ryan Adams, Super Furry Animals, Suicidal Tendencies, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, Beastie Boys, Bad Religion, Pennywise, The Beatles, The Dandy Warhols and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

I don't dismiss much musically as long as it hasn't got a migraine inducing throbbing beat to it. However I am a classical man really (in it's broadest sense). I really love the work of some of the more unusual composers like Eduard Tubin, and I have to admit to a penchant for the Strauss family. The of course as I always say "If it ain't Baroque don't fix it"

That's quite a list you've got there Mick. If you like stone roses check out Ian Brown's solo stuff, he's done about 5albums, I'm not keen on the new single they brought out this week though.

I have very varied tastes in music, but for the most part, I'm a long time metalhead. I've been into metal and racket since about 1989 when I was 13. I'm not like some metalheads that still only listen to the same bands they did when they were about 17.! I still search out new bands that I might like. Looking through my 'recently played' list sees albums by Clutch, Scissor Fight, Milkteeth, Every Time I Die, Type O Negative, Dillinger Escape Plan, Faith No More, Palm Reader, Neurosis.... Jesus, I listen to a lot of music.!

I'm not just into metal and hardcore though, I listen to a lot of country, bluegrass, some dance stuff and even some classical (I do like to listen to Clemency Burton-Hill in the morning... oh yes :whistle:).

I've never not been heavily into music. I still like going to gigs, I still read up on new bands and listen to podcasts about music. It's always been a pretty big part of my life and now I'm trying to indoctrinate the kids into metal \m/

English late 60s blues like peter greens Fleetwood Mac,my all time favourites,,60s/70s blues rock like free bad co of today's lot I like king king who are a Scottish retro 70s blues/rock band who are much like bad co and a little band called the struts a retro glam rock band who are very good and have a vocalist on par with Freddie mercury for style and his vocals,a proper front/showman

Have varied tastes, but love Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppilin and a lot of weird and wonderful stuff from the 70's and 60's. Like a good bit of classical, indie, bowie, kasabian and a lot of rock like metallica, iron madien etc. Like some of the stuff my misses listens to like Lana Del Rey. Dont like hip hop and mumford and sons.

I'm an old folky, and yes I do have a beard and can often be found wearing socks in sandals.
Most of the music I listen to is bagpipe orientated as I play pipes myself, as well as mostly Welsh folk stuff.
I'm also a Morris dancer.
Spend much more time performing music rather than listening to it though.

I'm an old folky, and yes I do have a beard and can often be found wearing socks in sandals.
Most of the music I listen to is bagpipe orientated as I play pipes myself, as well as mostly Welsh folk stuff.
I'm also a Morris dancer.
Spend much more time performing music rather than listening to it though.

Do you know a Scottish pipe band called Saor Patrol? I've watched them loads of times, been on stage with them and even drummed with them once. A few years ago mid you... this pic was about 12 years ago at Alnwick music festival in Northumberland.

saor.jpg

Do you know a Scottish pipe band called Saor Patrol? I've watched them loads of times, been on stage with them and even drummed with them once. A few years ago mid you... this pic was about 12 years ago at Alnwick music festival in Northumberland.

Cool. Got one of their albums. Not brilliant piping but they're pretty good as a band nonetheless.

I have a very varied music taste. I like a lot of things as long as their sonically interesting. Here is a short selection of the stuff i listen to

Old Metal: Pantera, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeath
New(er) Metal: Killswitch Engage, Mudvayne, Trivium, Alexisonfire
Nu Metal: Rage Against the Machine, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot
Rock: Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Reuben, Brand New, Hell is for Heroes, Biffy Clyro
Old Dance Music: Chemical Brothers, Propellerheads, Prodigy, Groove Armada, Cystal Method
New(er) Dance Music: Madeon, Sweedish House Mafia, Daft Punk, The Qemist, Steve Aoki
Dubstep: Skrillex, Kill the Noise, Feed Me, Subfocus
Old Hip Hop: Run DMC, Eric B & Rakim, KRS-ONE, De la Soul, Wu Tang Clan, Beastie Boys
New(er) Hip Hop: Jay Z, Mos Def, Common, Black Star, Blackalicious, J-Live
Cut and Paste DJs: DJ Yoda, DJ Format, Cut Chemist, NuMark, RJD2
UK Hip Hop: Sway, Leathle Bizzle, Tinie Tempah
Soul: Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Isley Brothers, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Bill Withers
Funk: Funkadelic, Rick James, Bootsy Collins, Zapp

Ok i might have got a bit carried away there :P

I'm a cheesy pop punk fan at heart. With a bit of metal thrown in for good measure.

A newfound glory, blink 182, Jimmy eat works, American hifi, good Charlotte that kind of ****.

I will listen to most thinks really apart from that bloody latest song bi riahnna 'work' omfg has anyone tried to listen to the lyrics? Just awful!

Just come back from a funeral actually of a mate who passed due to a car accident at the age of 39. He was interred to the melodic sounds of Joe Satriani :-)

I can sometimes be found at work in the loudest environment playing classical FM even louder.

Seems like everyone is a fairly diverse bunch in musical tastes.

Punk Rock ruined my life, been my go to style since a tender age when I stole some Descendents, Offspring and Greenday tapes from my brothers room. Made me believe it would be possible to make a career in music:doh:

That said I do love a bit of classic Hip Hop (I fully recommend Krafty Kuts Golden Era podcast https://soundcloud.com/kraftykuts/krafty-kuts-podcast-a-goldenad ) and I find myself increasingly becoming a fan of Pop music, anything with a catch hook and solid groove.

I have an unhealthy obsession with most musicians named Ben (Folds, Kweller and Lee mainly, although I recently added Harper to the list)

Always good to encounter another fan of "The Bens" although these days I only really follow Kweller, been a big fan of his since the Radish days.

Always good to encounter another fan of "The Bens" although these days I only really follow Kweller, been a big fan of his since the Radish days.

Folds is my favourite at the moment, everything he touches turns to gold IMO. It's actually Kweller that I heard first (which is bizarre since he's probably the least famous of the 3), became a bit obsessive and discovered The Bens EP, which opened the door to the other 2.

That's quite a list you've got there Mick. If you like stone roses check out Ian Brown's solo stuff, he's done about 5albums, I'm not keen on the new single they brought out this week though.

Yeah I'm familiar with his solo stuff, got all the albums. It doesn't have the same draw as the Roses.

I'm with you on the new single, I quite like the guitar riff though. That's both the Roses and SFA that have disappointed me with new tracks in the last week!

As you can see from avatar Im really into the Partridge Family, The Monkeys and The Bay City Rollers...cant get enough of it

Always seeking out new stuff. Have a blog and a small team of writers reviewing albums and gigs (Plus One Magazine). On a personal note, it's usually very noisy but quite varied. The band's I tend to love are often thought as a bit obscure I guess. In no particular order or genre here goes..

Future Of The Left (and their old band Mclusky). The Bronx. Slaves. Queens Of The Stone Age. Jane's Addiction. Fat White Family. Mark Lanegan. Pop Will Eat Itself. The Wonder stuff. NIN. Drenge. Nirvana. Mudhoney. Sleaford Mods. Chemical Brothers. Leftfield. Public Enemy. Beck. Pulled Apart By Horses....

Radio 6 nut.
Festivals
Etc

I have an unusually varied musical taste. Acid Techno, Ambient Techno, Minimal Techno, Dub Techno, Detroit Techno, Hard Techno, the list is endless.

In fact I'll listen to almost anything, so long as it's Techno. I said almost, nothing French, obviously.

Latest posts

Back