Yet another stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a Belgian stout a couple of weeks ago and the gravity is stuck at about 1.022. The recipe is here: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/belgian-stout-0205db although I managed to get an OG of 1.060. Mash temps were mostly at 67 but didn't go higher.

So far I have gently agitated the FV (a 5gal glass demi) twice, added another pack of hydrated yeast, and transferred from one FV to another, transferring all the yeast with it as I find this gets the yeast back in suspension really well, however there is no sign of the gravity dropping.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

I may be wrong but the FG on that recipe looks rather optimistic given the amount of specialty malts in the recipe.

I may be wrong but the FG on that recipe looks rather optimistic given the amount of specialty malts in the recipe.

You might get it down to 1009, but only if you used exceptionally fresh ingredients. If you bought the grains ready crushed and had them sitting around for a while I wouldn't expect you'd get below 1015.
It's very noticeable how quickly efficiency drops off as crushed grain ages.

Ah yes, have also increased fermentation temp from 19C to 22C, no help.

This is no different from nearly all other ingredients I use/beers I make, and if anything is using fresher ingredients as I did a huge shop about 2 weeks prior to brewing. I vacuum pack all my crushed grains once they're opened as well. The yeast was probably the weakest link, but I pitched 2 sachets and they've been sitting in my fridge. As mentioned they were both rehydrated before pitching.

Is there anything else I can do to lower the gravity?

Thanks.

I'm not sure how brewtoad does its calculations but plugging that recipe into brewersfriend and brewtarget I'm getting a FG of 1.017-1.018, so not that far off where you've ended up.

If you've done the usual rousing/upping the temp. Try pitching something clean like US-05 or M44 and that might get you down some more.

I'm not sure how brewtoad does its calculations but plugging that recipe into brewersfriend and brewtarget I'm getting a FG of 1.017-1.018, so not that far off where you've ended up.

If you've done the usual rousing/upping the temp. Try pitching something clean like US-05 or M44 and that might get you down some more.

Interesting the FG comes out like that. The recipe I based this on was this Castle Maltings one http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingBeerRecipes.asp?Command=RecipeView&RecipeID=21. The OG is 15 deg Plato, which is about 1.061 and the ABV is 6.5%, meaning the FG should be lower.

I don't think adding a third yeast would necessarily work if two packs of S-33 aren't.

My St Peter's Honey Porter kit got stuck at about 1.20 after 8 days. I went to a LHBS near my work to get some tronozymol and some yeast to go through that process to get it started again. The woman who owns the shop said not to bother and give me a packet of some type of enzyme which cost 49p. Since putting that in, it has dropped about 6 points about 36 hours...I was very impressed.

My St Peter's Honey Porter kit got stuck at about 1.20 after 8 days. I went to a LHBS near my work to get some tronozymol and some yeast to go through that process to get it started again. The woman who owns the shop said not to bother and give me a packet of some type of enzyme which cost 49p. Since putting that in, it has dropped about 6 points about 36 hours...I was very impressed.

Enzymes could be the way to go. I know people don't like it because it ferments out a lot of sugars making the beer really thin. Have you tried your St Peter's yet? Is the mouthfeel alright?

I have yeast nutrients, not sure if that would help?

Enzymes could be the way to go. I know people don't like it because it ferments out a lot of sugars making the beer really thin. Have you tried your St Peter's yet? Is the mouthfeel alright?

I have yeast nutrients, not sure if that would help?

I've not drank any since the enzymes were put in, I looked at the SG this morning quickly this morning before driving to work.

Thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction.

That guy's ebay listing is hilarious:

Yes that is Ivy & sprouts but hops are out of season

:lol:

On second thoughts, the beer is in the 4% range which is acceptable, and it tastes really good. I think I might just bottle as is. Those unfermented sugars have given it a good texture.

Is it alright to bottle? I'm a bit worried about bottle bombs going off.

I've not used amylase for ages. If I'm using it in an AG brew I am assuming I drop it in during fermentation - is that right?

Any advice appreciated - just having a mental block!
:confused:

I read how when yeast dies it can tell the other yeast there is an unfavourable condition and the other yeast goes dormant. So with a stalled brew, moving to a fresh fermentor leaving as much yeast behind as possible and adding new yeast can restart it and keep it going. I have had it once and only once, ferment stopped, added more yeast, ran again for very short time and stopped again. Transferred leaving as much yeast as possible behind made a yeast starter so yeast de-hydrated before adding, and hay presto off it went again.

1.022 is perfectly acceptable for a porter. If it doesn't taste sweet, then get it bottled. It should have a nice full body.

Latest posts

Back