Festival Father Hook's Best Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Latest brew and the next one I'm trying from the Festival range.

Kicked it off on Tuesday night, may have been a bit too warm to pitch the yeast, my thermometer said it was at 24 degrees and as it was getting late I had to risk it. But then I stuck it in the brew fridge and hooked up the STC-1000 and that was saying it was nearer to 26 degrees. The fridge had brought it down to a steady 20 degrees by the morning and there was a decent layer of froth on the top so it will be fine.

I wonder if this is how I've had brews that have been non-starters in the past and needed another sachet of yeast to get going. Was never particularly vigilant about checking the temperature, just relied on my two kettles of boiling water to dissolve the wort then fill to 23l with cold, but it would seem that this con sometimes end up a little bit too warm.

I had a sneaky peak at this to see that the krausen had subsided after only a week of fermenting. Fearing the dreaded stuck fermentation I took a sample but it's already down to 1.011 :thumb: Must have gone off like a rocket :)

Tastes good too, malty and smooth, think it will be a good base for the dry hop additions. I'll leave it in the FV for two weeks anyway so I'll add the hops later on in the week with a view to racking off into the barrel early next week. Happy days.

How do like the Youngs APA Graz?
I liked it a lot but think the IPA and the Amber Ale just shade it although the Amber Ale may be an acquired taste as not too many raving about it.
Festival kits are top notch as well,never had a bad one although not tried this one
Enjoy ;)

How do like the Youngs APA Graz?
I liked it a lot but think the IPA and the Amber Ale just shade it although the Amber Ale may be an acquired taste as not too many raving about it.
Festival kits are top notch as well,never had a bad one although not tried this one
Enjoy ;)

Yeah it's good, nice hop character but without being completely in your face like an IPA (e.g. BrewDog Punk IPA). I think it would be even better chilled, I keep my beer for serving in the garage, it's cool out there but I think this one would taste even better at a lower temperature. Next stop kegerator :whistle: Good beer for the summer time though.

Transferred this to the pressure barrel last night, took another sample and the FG was below 1.010 so happy with that, tasted good too, hops have added to the flavour nicely.

Unfortunately I'd lost the little sock thing that goes over the syphon to stop all the hop debris getting sucked up. I'd used it to syphon the Young's APA as they don't supply one it their kits but do supply hop pellets to dry hop. I diligently washed it and put it somewhere safe to use for this kit but could I find it last night...

So I tried to construct something similar using a bit of J cloth (dipped in StarSan) but the first attempt clogged up quickly, the second attempt wasn't much better, so I gave up and just used the sediment trap on the syphon. Hopefully no too much of the hop debris made it in the barrel and what there is will settle out.

It's now back in the brew fridge to condition / prime.

How was it

Jeez, you expect me to remember anything about a brew I made nearly 4 years ago 😉

Luckily I made a note though - "Really nice pint, good session ale, hoppy but without being overpowering."

Based on that though might have to make it again, currently on the golden / pale ales for summer drinking but as the cooler months approach....

Jeez, you expect me to remember anything about a brew I made nearly 4 years ago 😉

Luckily I made a note though - "Really nice pint, good session ale, hoppy but without being overpowering."

Based on that though might have to make it again, currently on the golden / pale ales for summer drinking but as the cooler months approach....
I’m looking fir something lighter for summer. I’ve got a coopers european lager on. Any suggestions. Thanks fir looking it up.

I’m looking fir something lighter for summer. I’ve got a coopers european lager on. Any suggestions. Thanks fir looking it up.
Your Euro lager could need three months to get to its best. So in the meantime Coopers AuPa plus 500g light DME, 500g dextrose with 50g Cascade as a dry hop or a hop tea. Brewed at about 18*C. Can be drunk young.

Your Euro lager could need three months to get to its best. So in the meantime Coopers AuPa plus 500g light DME, 500g dextrose with 50g Cascade as a dry hop or a hop tea. Brewed at about 18*C. Can be drunk young.
Yes I’ve had the euro before with saaz dry hopped Really nice. Took about as long as the razorback ipa to bring the best out the beer.
I might have a go at the aussie

I’m presently trying corny kegs. I have the euro in one with 250g corn sugar. I haven’t added any pressure yet. I’m not sure what todo. I might leave it for a couple of weeks at 20degrees. then cool And pressurise to 30pDi for two days. Then fridge for aweek or so

Hi. Just looked and beer works do a packet of 1.2 kg of light liquid malt extract for a fiver. Could I add that instead of the dextrose and dried light malt rxtractb

Hi. Just looked and beer works do a packet of 1.2 kg of light liquid malt extract for a fiver. Could I add that instead of the dextrose and dried light malt rxtractb
You could try it. However I am always a bit wary of using a lot of LME, unless you definitely know its premium grade. And the reason is that I believe cheap or old LME is responsible for homebrew twang as I have found out. Otherwise using all LME will give you a very malty beer which perhaps doesn't fit in with your requirements for a lighter beer. But, why not get two cans of AuPA and do one with DME/dextrose and Cascade, the other with the LME and say EKG or Styrian Goldings or similar, then you can compare?

You could try it. However I am always a bit wary of using a lot of LME, unless you definitely know its premium grade. And the reason is that I believe cheap or old LME is responsible for homebrew twang as I have found out. Otherwise using all LME will give you a very malty beer which perhaps doesn't fit in with your requirements for a lighter beer. But, why not get two cans of AuPA and do one with DME/dextrose and Cascade, the other with the LME and say EKG or Styrian Goldings or similar, then you can compare?
I’ve ordered what you initially suggested.

Have you ever used beer gas with your corny keg system

Latest posts

Back