Should dog owners be forced to keep their dog on a lead in public places?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should dog owners be forced to keep their dog on a lead in public places?

• Yes.

• No.

• No if muzzled.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Eleven children were injured when a dog attacked them in a playground in Northumberland.

Parents described rushing from their homes to pull the animal away from the children in Blyth.

It happened on Wednesday evening and three of the victims spent the night in hospital.

A 37-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of having a dog dangerously out of control. The dog has been taken to police kennels.

3. Public Spaces Protection Orders

Some public areas in England and Wales are covered by Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs) - previously called Dog Control Orders (DCOs).

In public areas with PSPOs, you may have to:

keep your dog on a lead
put your dog on a lead if told to by a police officer, police community support officer or someone from the council
stop your dog going to certain places - like farmland or parts of a park
limit the number of dogs you have with you (this applies to professional dog walkers too)
clear up after your dog

Yes. I own 2 dogs a husky and a staffy and to me they belong on the lead amongst people. Especially because not everybody likes dogs.

Chippy, this is going to be a hot discussion :D

Chippy, this is going to be a hot discussion

I am expecting it.

The reason i am posting this is because the dog that attacked was a Staffie, a Staffie attacked a kid here not so long ago and it was all over the local paper several Staffie owners posted comments along the lines of "my Staffie would never do that it loves kids" i am not anti Staffie but no dog can be trusted around strangers, i am in the "must be on a lead" camp.

I am in the on a lead camp, my dog isn't great with other dogs because one jumped on her, playfully it has to be said but unexpectedly and it spooked her. Since then she wants to make friends but tends to get so close and panics. She is always on the lead except in the house and in our garden. I really worry when other dogs not on leaders come bouncing up to her.

I've a poochon, a long legged Rat lol
She loves every one so not on a lead an less it's bissy
But I had a German sherpard that was muscled and on a lead, as would eat you lol

I just don't think it's fair on people who like to go in the park and are scared of dogs. The park should be for everyone so we all have to compromise.

Ohhhh don't get me started:mrgreen:
I am a yes. I am not overly keen on dogs full stop but particullarily not keen when they are roving around parks, commons etc without any real control from the owners.Probably more than that however are those owners who allow their muts to s##t anywhere and everywhere and leave it, even those who bag it and then tuck it behind your wall or fence or hang the bag from a tree branch of which there are many-grrrrrrr.
My mate has two Springers both very lively BUT he keeps them on a lead when walking them in the street or park, lets them free on his local heath BUT always clears up after them and gets really angry if he sees others letting theirs mess then walk away.
Alas as always the majority get tarred with the same brush as the minority.

I know that area well in Blyth and know people who live in the streets around there. It's as rough as buggery, but nobody deserves to get bitten.

I've had dogs, I don't at the moment, but will probably have another at some point. Although I've had dogs that I know wouldn't hurt anyone, you HAVE to keep them on a lead in public areas. It's common courtesy for a start and you don't know how other people could be around dogs. We've all seen someone panic when there's a loose dog about.

+1 for kids under 10.

I voted yes in public places but that is only because there was not an option for keeping dogs under control. I have no problem with any dog on or off a lead if it is under the control of the owner. The problem as I see it is irresponsible dog owners.

There was an incident when one of my sons visited a park when he was around 9, and was not with any group where a dog was present, but a family on the other side of the park had a dog, and for some reason charged at the group, and bit him hard on the upper thigh - enough for the dog to break a tooth off in his leg. This then needed minor surgery to remove & resulted in infection which took time to heal. He was then very scared of all dogs for a considerable time, and has only just started to trust a friends dog some 6 years later. The dog unfortunately had to be destroyed as the police said it was an unprovoked attack. It was a collie. If the dog was on a lead it would very likely be alive today.

The problem with under control off the lead is you haven't any, this Staffy was not as far as I know a bad dog but for some reason it flipped and attacked, if it had been on a lead this would not have happened.

It depends.... really it does.... mine are on leash because I can't trust people.... not my dogs! But if you know your dog goes after people, then they should be. I have 2 golden retrievers and the only damage they will do is lick you to death. Here in Japan, I've had old ladies walking by my dogs, while on leashes, hit my dogs with their bags.... so now when I walk them, I keep them away from people because I don't want my dogs terrorized.
But I have a friend who has 2 pit bulls and have attacked other dogs, they need to be on leashes ALL the time.

This is a hot topic for me just now, I have a farm in Scotland with access paths over a significant part of it. I am more than happy to welcome everyone onto the farm/use the paths, but dogs must be kept under control as we have had numerous incidents of dogs attacking our poultry (free range poultry farm). The owners leave half dead birds and apart from the obvious sufferning to the birds it has a finacial effect.

However, our own farm dogs come with me without a lead as they have been brought up around the birds and know not to chase them. I am aware that this projects the wrong image as it's a bit hypocritcal of me to ask everyone else to keep their dogs on a lead with mine running free.

Would you want your dog around your garden with a lead on? A farm is a big garden really........

Absolutely not on parks or fields (assuming there's no livestock). The owner should make that call based on the temperament of the dog. I walk our Staffy, on fields I throw a ball for her which gives her proper exercise rather than walking at normal pace.

On pavements I would say yes because of the danger of them walking in front of traffic.

I would be interested to hear the reasons from the four that voted no and anyone else that may vote no in future.

I'm happy to let my cat roam around and don't care if it sh*ts in your flower beds.

Therefore I could hardly complain about someone having a dog off a lead so long as it is generally non violent. Unlike the vicious little git (Jack Russell) which attacked my other half last year. Managed to draw blood through jeans, contacted the police as it was outside a house on a pathway that children often use and the owners response was that it kept escaping and wasn't her fault. The police offered to have the dog "destroyed" (we said no), ask me sounds more like the owner needed putting down.

I'm happy to let my cat roam around and don't care if it sh*ts in your flower beds.

Therefore I could hardly complain about someone having a dog off a lead so long as it is generally non violent. Unlike the vicious little git (Jack Russell) which attacked my other half last year. Managed to draw blood through jeans, contacted the police as it was outside a house on a pathway that children often use and the owners response was that it kept escaping and wasn't her fault. The police offered to have the dog "destroyed" (we said no), ask me sounds more like the owner needed putting down.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh
so it's your *************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~************* moggy that keeps crapping on our lawn is it:twisted:;)

I rarely walk my hounds in in public places, but when I do, they are on leads, as much for their safety as anything else.
What pisses me off more is that horses are allowed to **** in the road (normally on the line that a motorcyclist would take) and nobody raises an eyebrow. If your dog slips up, however, it's the gallows for you...

I rarely walk my hounds in in public places, but when I do, they are on leads, as much for their safety as anything else.
What pisses me off more is that horses are allowed to **** in the road (normally on the line that a motorcyclist would take) and nobody raises an eyebrow. If your dog slips up, however, it's the gallows for you...

A big poop scoop and rather large big bag required for a horse methinks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back