New cigarette packets.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
British Lung Foundation chief executive Dr Penny Woods welcomed the measures.

"For too long glitzy, cleverly designed packaging has lured young people into smoking, a habit that takes the lives of half of all long-term smokers," she said.

Do these idiots really think smokers buy cigarettes because of the fancy packets, most smokers i know smoke roll ups as they cannot afford to smoke "proper" ones.

This will change nothing and if they are so concerned why not ban it altogether.

article-0-148C9F1E000005DC-797_634x280.jpg

I've long since packed in, but when I started smoking, I smoked Lucky Strike because of Kevin Schwantz's RG500 GP Suzuki. Then I got my RGV250 and thought I was cool as could be... which I was by the way. The power of advertising...

Suzuki-History-Kevin-Schwantz-lucky-strike.jpg

I tried many different brands before settling on Benson and Hedges then ended on Sovereign, i didn't choose B&H because of the pack it was the taste, i was told Sovereign were made by B&H and they were a lot cheaper, i gave up 16 years ago and haven't touched one since.

Way back in my yoof i was somewhat swayed by the packets. Guards, very smart, Du Maurier, very poncy:lol: Black and White, very snazzy, Everest, coooool, come on who would be seen dead with a pack of Willie Woodbines:nono:.
Gave up 7 years ago after some 40 plus years,wish i had done it sooner but hey.
Think nowadays cost would overide fancy packs.

Smokers are jokers, and fags are for slags!

And more recently, vapers are rapers!

I caught something on the news earlier about stopping 10 packs because people will smoke less if they have a 20 pack, as a none smoker I am not sure how that will work.

I don't think this legislation is aimed at people who have been smoking a long time. I think it's an attempt to put young people off smoking and the banning of 10 packs is an attempt to make it harder for kids to afford to buy cigarettes in the first place.

Not sure if the 10 pack thing is a good idea or not as some people buy 10s to moderate their intake. But anything that has an impact in preventing people from taking up the habit in the first place has to be a good thing.

I'm lucky in that although I smoked a bit at uni I never developed an addiction and haven't smoked for 20 odd years.

Nice pic of Schwantz there Notlaw.

I was swayed by packaging when I was a teen. I smoked rollies because they were cheap, but when I was in town I'd pop into the tobacconists to pick up a packet of Death cigarettes, because I thought they were awesome.
deathcigarettes.jpg

I wish I never started, and I'm glad that smoking is becoming marginalised and people are getting priced out by increasing tax. Having lost a couple of family members to lung cancer, I hope this trend continues and my son never picks up the habit like I did.

I've tried the odd one in the past, but I genuinely don't get smoking?

Causes serious health problems
Expensive
Tastes ****
Smells ****
You have to stand outside in the British weather to do it

What's the point? I'm not trying to preach, just don't see the positives. I guess there must be some as no one would do it otherwise.

And before anyone says it, beer is good for you and tastes nice.

Causes serious health problems
Expensive
Tastes ****
Smells ****
You have to stand outside in the British weather to do it

What's the point? I'm not trying to preach, just don't see the positives. I guess there must be some as no one would do it otherwise.

And before anyone says it, beer is good for you and tastes nice.

+1 this is my take on it too, tried the odd one, never understood it at all? regulars obviously get something out of it but i couldn't work out what it was

Smoking's a mugs game, ripped off by the tobacco corporations, the government and it will kill you without a doubt. Not being the fizziest drink in the fridge it only took me 32 years to work this out.

It helps you concentrate when you are drowsy, and helps you calm you when you are stressed. It takes away hunger, but settles the stomach when you are full.

It helps you concentrate when you are drowsy, and helps you calm you when you are stressed. It takes away hunger, but settles the stomach when you are full.

This sounds a bit like one of those ciggy adverts from the 1930's! Recommended by your Doctor for all maladies :lol:

Nicotine is the most addictive substance known, more addictive than heroin.

Fact 1,
Every person that stops smoking or dies loses the Company income so they actively target children through films and media to get them smoking to keep their incomes up. They soak the filters and paper in nicotine to maximise the intake.

Why dont the government just ban it? pensions.

Fact 2,
The government know full well that most smokers will die before they get their state pension so they wont ban it for this reason. They get to keep your pension.

Thats YOUR pension you have paid in for through National insurance.

Sad but true

If any of you lot out there smoke tobacco in whatever form it comes just be aware of the real health risks it brings, which might not be apparent now but will hit you later. One of my senior neighbours who was a life time smoker until a few years ago has emphysema, brought about by smoking and is a deteriorating condition. In the last four years or so, from being perfectly healthy, he now cannot walk more than a few steps without stopping for rest, he is permanently hooked up to an oxygen pipe to assist in breathing, he is now more or less housebound apart from a mobility scooter and short trips in the car, and has to have a stair lift to get up the stairs. Getting out of a chair represent a major challenge. And, he is slowly getting worse.
And if anyone says, but I can't give up, that's b*ll*c*s. I gave up 40 years ago but prior to that I could have smoked for England, untipped ciggies including Capstan Full Strength, roll-ups, pipe, cigars, I even tried rolling and smoking chewing tobacco.

I don't like smoking because I don't have a taste of it. I don't why how people develop the taste of smoking.

If any of you lot out there smoke tobacco in whatever form it comes just be aware of the real health risks it brings, which might not be apparent now but will hit you later. One of my senior neighbours who was a life time smoker until a few years ago has emphysema, brought about by smoking and is a deteriorating condition. In the last four years or so, from being perfectly healthy, he now cannot walk more than a few steps without stopping for rest, he is permanently hooked up to an oxygen pipe to assist in breathing, he is now more or less housebound apart from a mobility scooter and short trips in the car, and has to have a stair lift to get up the stairs. Getting out of a chair represent a major challenge. And, he is slowly getting worse.
And if anyone says, but I can't give up, that's b*ll*c*s. I gave up 40 years ago but prior to that I could have smoked for England, untipped ciggies including Capstan Full Strength, roll-ups, pipe, cigars, I even tried rolling and smoking chewing tobacco.
Quite agree with your last paragraph.
I have COPD as a result of smoking, not smoked for 7 years. gave up whilst on my annual fishing holiday after getting badly short of breath.May have been fear that helped but that particular morning my baccy and lighter went in the waste bin and there were no mad cravings whatsoever, and i smoked for 40 plus years:thumb:

I agree and i did it without patches or sprays but i did struggle and failed on more than one occasion, i wish these vapour things had been around then as i am sure it would have stopped a lot sooner.

I agree and i did it without patches or sprays but i did struggle and failed on more than one occasion, i wish these vapour things had been around then as i am sure it would have stopped a lot sooner.

:nono::nono: Sorry, only one way to pack it in chuck em away. Patches, tablets etc, b######s and as for vaping, that is not going to help anyone to give em up, no way, infact i think it's now become fashionable to vape:doh:

Latest posts

Back