FAO All Grainfather Users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of one of these, but I don't want to spend my money for the sake of it, because I think it may make better beer.

What are the real benefits?

I guess the control of mash temp, although my thermopot does a pretty good job of holding a steady temp.

Main ball aches for me are the time it takes to heat the water and time it takes to chill the wort.

I'd estimate 2hrs of brew day are spent heating water, although I have a second element that I've not got around to fitting yet.

I suspect that I don't really need one, but it's shiny and I like the look of them.

The counterflow chiller works really well, much better than my immersion chiller, and I loved being able to set the mash temp and forget about it for an hour or so.

It probably wont make you better beer, but it's a better and more efficient way to make beer :)

I think the biggest thing is consistency. Your brews will be more consistent, especially if you're using a fridge too.

Last edited:
You can make something that will do the same thing but then you got all these parts and nicknaks. I want one because it's all cleanly made and compact. If or maybe I should say when I get one, I'm still going to use my HLT to get the strike water ready. Gas is much faster. But, with the GF, you still need a separate HLT to get sparge water ready.
Real advance brewing isn't the parts of the system but water comp. fermentation and types of yeast and how you control temp during fermentation. I view it as reducing areas where problems could arise. Let the system take care of the basics. You review your recipe and play with hops.

Last edited:
A GF is the bottom rung of the mixed metaphor slippery slope to automated Beer armageddon. Next thing you know, Ab inBev will be knocking on your door offering you $30 Billion for your set up and Brew Dog will be calling you a corporate sell out slag.

That should put you off..

I'm toying with the idea of one of these, but I don't want to spend my money for the sake of it, because I think it may make better beer.

What are the real benefits?

I guess the control of mash temp, although my thermopot does a pretty good job of holding a steady temp.

Main ball aches for me are the time it takes to heat the water and time it takes to chill the wort.

I'd estimate 2hrs of brew day are spent heating water, although I have a second element that I've not got around to fitting yet.

I suspect that I don't really need one, but it's shiny and I like the look of them.

My two penneth:
They make very nice clear wort consistently.

But the reason I got one was because it removes a lot of the less exciting/glamorous bits of brewing, and saves time in doing so, eg setting up the pot and burner, standing over a lot waiting for it to boil then adjusting flame, getting wort to boil.

I will eventually use step mashes too Such as for the beers which i would never be bothered to do with a pot and burner - way too much faffing.

However I will say I don't think they are worth £650.

A GF is the bottom rung of the mixed metaphor slippery slope to automated Beer armageddon. Next thing you know, Ab inBev will be knocking on your door offering you $30 Billion for your set up and Brew Dog will be calling you a corporate sell out slag.

That should put you off..

Haha... Good one.... But then I wonder, after downing a very proud amount of beer, joking?????
I slide down any slippery slope for $30 billion. Heck, I think I could slide for 30 quid!!!! Haha.

Haha... Good one.... But then I wonder, after downing a very proud amount of beer, joking?????
I slide down any slippery slope for $30 billion. Heck, I think I could slide for 30 quid!!!! Haha.

Unfortunately, the small print states the $30 Billion is distributed solely in equivalent Stella Cidre and Budweiser six packs and Brewery Tour Vouchers (1 per month, restrictions apply, offer can be withdrawn at any time).

So you wouldn't buy a full price one then ?

No, I wouldn't. Having trialled one last year I decided it wasn't for me, it didn't justify £650. Better than half price for nearly new and the value equation shifts in its balance. Though still pricey. Will take a long time to pay itself back even at £300. That's not really part of my thinking though.

No, I wouldn't. Having trialled one last year I decided it wasn't for me, it didn't justify �£650. Better than half price for nearly new and the value equation shifts in its balance. Though still pricey. Will take a long time to pay itself back even at �£300. That's not really part of my thinking though.

I can understand your sentiments on the GF. I'd like a brewmaster bucket but at £185 I find it hard to justify buying one. Theirs some great features on it but I could buy 10 plastic FV's for that. Would the BB make better beer? I don't really think so. But I want one cuz it's shiny :mrgreen:

I can understand your sentiments on the GF. I'd like a brewmaster bucket but at �£185 I find it hard to justify buying one. Theirs some great features on it but I could buy 10 plastic FV's for that. Would the BB make better beer? I don't really think so. But I want one cuz it's shiny :mrgreen:

But would it last longer than 10 plastic FVs? Probably, if looked after properly.

Latest posts

Back