2.30am and just getting ready to pitch yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember the last time I stayed up til 2.30! I normally brew on SWMBOs Saturday at work, when I've got the house to myself and start first thing to avoid drinking related mistakes!

This sounds similar to my schedule. I usually start at 8.30 or 9 o'clock and try to get to bed but 2am.
Mt brew days also need to work around small kids.

I did try starting early one day but I still ended up taking till lunchtime and trying to make breakfast for the family I'm the middle of everything wasn't ideal.

I dont have small children so don't know how they work but you could start early before the sprogs enter mayhem mode and do an all day mash. Then when the little darlings/buggers have knackered themselves out carry on with the rest of the brew

SWMBO was at work today I had the kids but still did a brew.. mine are 6 and 4.. Started just before 8 finished and pitched yeast 12:30ish.the bruner is in the garden and since I do no sparge I can leave it, in fact I got a fair bit done and luckily enough they played nicley on their own

Yeah mine are 5 and 3. I start early doors on the weekend when they get up. Maybe mash in 8ish. Usually finish 2-3pm. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish it was that easy in our house. We have a girl@ 13, little ball if hormones and anger, another girl@ 9 never shuts up and always wants something. And a little boy16 months old who's found his legs and is into everything he shouldn't. And also wakes up at 6.30 everyday without fail. Gota love em though.

I dont have small children so don't know how they work but you could start early before the sprogs enter mayhem mode and do an all day mash. Then when the little darlings/buggers have knackered themselves out carry on with the rest of the brew

I like this idea. I might try this next time.

It's difficult with kids, I started brewing when my two were 12 so I tend to make everyone breakfast clear up and then start for the day but they still wander in claiming to be starving to the point of death within the hour. As they're nearly fourteen now I just laugh at them and then send them over the chip shop to get lunch.......SWMBO however will not be put off so easily and I tread very carefully around her. So far no one's died from hunger but more to the point I've not had an infected brew so it seems to work, sort of.

Mine are 3 and 18months. So I'm usually up around 7am on a Saturday with the eldest and boiling by the time the Mrs and the youngest get up.

My 2 kids live their mom but I wish it meant I have free reign in my house but the girlfriend and my two golden retrievers have confiscated my house. My gf gives my freedom to brew but my dogs think they are brewing with me. The get into everything.

Im struggling with this too. 3yr old and 12 week old. Have planned a brew last 3 weeks and it's been cancelled by the boss. I was given permission this morning but after the cleaning too longer than expected my permission was revoked and it was all packed away again.

I've been told I can start tomorrow when the eldest is in bed around 8pm. I have a feeling it'll be a late one..

I've I only done 3 BIABs so far, and fit it in when I can, when the family is out. I'm really not comfortable with the idea of 30 litres of boiling wort with a toddler running around.

I brew when the Mrs. is at work - no way I'm going to let her see what a boil-over looks like as I stand my boiler on the washing machine out in the shed when brewing.:lol:

Have you looked into Aussie-style no-chill?

It would allow you to split things up into more manageable chunks and still get a decent night's kip.

Recently I have found that if I get up about 6:30 AM and get the water from the combi boiler I can mash in about 7:00 AM, batch sparge and boil and then chill all done and cleaned away by 10:30 ish with the rest of the day untouched.

No kids, but tempted by the idea of a "no sparge", "no chill", and mash with water from the hot water tap. In theory it's only 2 hours + time taken to reach strike temp and boiling, which with the thermostat on the boiler turned right up, and if it's no time between mash-out and boiling shouldn't be long.

Currently try and brew mid-week on days I can finish at 4. Get home and get the water on to heat immediately and get mashed in before the OH gets home (always helps her mood and acceptance of mess if it's mashing away quietly and I can make her tea).

The only bit that never quite works out is the boil. It's inevitably too late/dark to boil outside, so I end up making a mess with chillers, wort, silicone hoses, and hosepipe everywhere. Once the garage is sorted I want a 32A socket above the workbench and an old CH pump to take rainwater from one water-butt to another for chilling.

Have you looked into Aussie-style no-chill?

It would allow you to split things up into more manageable chunks and still get a decent night's kip.

I've tried out 3 day brew days

D1 Overight mash
D2 Boil/Sparge/Wort into no-chill cube
D3 Transfer to FV/Micro boil for flavour & aroma hops/pitch yeast

I no longer do 3 day brew days but do 2 day (D2 and D3). Like CWRW666 I wait for MrsMQ to leave before I start brewing so she doesnt see the state of the kitchen when I'm brewing

I have a 4 year old and a 6 month old mutt. Mutt bag just wants to eat everything, he's an expert Thief with a penchant for potatoes (he's a Lurcher cross, it's the Irish in him).

Anyway, my daughter is into everything and don't touch isn't enough, so I invite her to help me. She finds it all incredibly boring and within 5 minutes she's distracted herself with something else, and leaves me to it.

So yeah, for me keeping the hound happy is the worst of it, but he loves bones so I just give him a new bone on the day and he spends the day gnawing on that.

I usually start about mid morning and brew on a weekend day, just need to plan something easy for food.

Steak works well, wedges are all about time in the oven and veg is frozen / easy. Steak takes about 3 1/2 minutes the way I like it with 5 mins to rest, usually tea is fitted into sparge time, just need to get up every 5 mins to add a bit more water

Latest posts

Back