DIY Temperature Controlled Fermenting Unit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_C

Reaction score
I've been struggling for months to get hold of a cheap/free fridge the right size and shape in order to set up a brewing station in my workshop that can cope with the summer months. My problem is that the ones I have seen is that they are just not quite the right shape, and often the base of them has a big old step that makes it a challenge to get the FV nice and stable and still being able to access the lid of the FV. So, here is my attempt at a purpose-built temperature controlled DIY brewing unit!

The main chamber was built using spare Recticel/Kingspan insulation board (cost probably about a fiver, but essentially free as it was left over from a DIY project last year). This is all duct-taped together to form an enclosure that is big enough to access the lid, and also for using the tap (I will raise the base a little more than is shown in the picture to improve the access to the tap). Then, the addition of a heater-pad (and a small 25W Aquarium Heater bought for a fiver on eBay for additional heating in the winter), connected with a double plug to the heater socket on an Inkbird, and we have heating control...

I've just ordered a small portable air conditioning unit (http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/855205/Eufab-Compact-Air-Conditioner) designed for camping and caravans, which I will put on the outside of the chamber with a cut-through, connected to the cooling socket on the Inkbird and LO! We now have cooling!

Total cost for the whole setup has been just shy of �£100, including the FV, and Inkbird system, which I am quite pleased with, especially the very Heath-Robinson look of the thing! Even without the air-con unit, once my current brew (Wherry) had cooled down from the initial mixing, I have been able to maintain the temperature at a steady 18.5 - 19.5 degrees, over a couple of weeks with very variable temperature....

Just thought I'd share, in case there are others who are not sure about going the whole way down the brewing fridge route...

image.jpeg

I don't want to put a downer on your plans and hope it works but hope your 12V cooler works better than the 12V Ceramic Car Fan Heater i bought years ago, it was ****.

Well, I'll just have to see! I did ask a friend who has one for his VW Camper, and he said it does make a difference to his van, and my guess is that it will be more effective in a smaller space, which is heavily insulated. I'm not looking to keep milk fresh in there, just to knock a few daytime degrees off the temperature of my brew if required!

Okay, here is an update.... So it arrived at the weekend, I cut a small hole to allow the outlet air to circulate in the chamber, and IT WORKS PERFECTLY! I gave it a trial for the past few days by setting the Inkbird temperature to ±0.2 degrees sensitivity, and the FV has been kept at a very consistent 19.0 degrees every time I have checked it. I intermittently hear the cooling fan switch itself on (for about an hour at a time), but given the water reservoir (that provides the required cooling) is good for 8 hours continuous operation, my estimate is that over the past two days it has only been on for about 3 hours (mainly in the mid afternoon). This suggests that the cooling effect is sufficient, and that the system is working well. I doubt the system will drop the temperature massively below the ambient air temperature, or allow me to brew a proper lager in the mid-summer, but it has reduced the range in temperature in the chamber very effectively.

Once this brew is sorted out, I will try and tidy up the arrangement (for example get the Inkbird outside the chamber, but I'm really pleased with this!

image.jpg

For that money you could have had a new fridge and been able to get low conditioning or lager temperatures but for a diy project it looks really good and much better than anything I could come up with

Leon103, yes, you are absolutely correct, I could have bought a cheap new fridge for about £100 (if you can get one that fits the FV with room to manoeuvre, of course), but you would then still have to buy the Inkbird, heater, FV, build a strong shelf to hold the FV etc...., which I think would put the final price up at around £200, i.e. Around double what I've had to pay!

Just checked it now, it is 27 degrees outdoors (according to my weather station), my workshop is currently at 32 degrees according to a thermometer left on top of the unit, and my little air-con unit has just come on to keep the fermenting beer at 19.2 degrees. I'll take that!

I was thinking along the same lines of using kingspan to make a box for mine. The appeal to me was that I could flat pack it when not needed.

Not sure on the cooler though as it is an evaporative type. Ideal for keeping a bottle of milk cold, but as it cools the air it also fills it with moisture. Might be good enough for this job though. :thumb:

I am building a similar fermenting chamber from leftover 1 inch Kingspan boards. It will be portable/folding for easy storage in the shed between brews. No cooling will be required as I brew mainly in winter but can use kveik in the warmer months. My reptile heating mat will fit inside and if necessary a brew belt, both connected to an inkbird.
I had a brew fridge but the wife donated it to a local youth club!

Latest posts

Back