Tap water.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't boil water in huge quantities i only need to bring the temperature of the water in the FV up to 20c - 30c, i have read members use hot water from the tap is this safe?

I don't boil water in huge quantities i only need to bring the temperature of the water in the FV up to 20c - 30c, i have read members use hot water from the tap is this safe?

I think it depends on your boiler. If its a combi which heats up from teh mains then you're fine.. If your hot water is in a tank its not..

We have condensing boiler :confused:

A condensing boiler is a more modern combi boiler. That's what I've got. I use water from the hot tap and it's fine. The boiler and the pipework were all replaced less than a year ago, so I know it's all good. I can fill my pot with 60°C water and it saves meoads of time.

As youre in an area were there has previously been a contaminated water scare this year, plus all the flooding from swerage getting into the water scources I'd boil the mother out of any water cold or otherwise.:!:

I don't recall a contaminated water scare or sewerage getting into the water :confused:

I don't recall a contaminated water scare or sewerage getting into the water :confused:

Maybe youre a little further North, but if you get water from any area that was flooded then would seriously consider boiling water or sulphinating.

I remember it was all over the news for a while, it was quite a distance south from us.

Boil water notice now lifted for all of Lancashire

Sunday 6th September

Latest news (Sunday 6th September) for customers currently affected by the boil water notice across Blackpool, Chorley, Fylde, Preston, South Ribble and Wyre.

Through the combination of installing ultraviolet rigs and flushing of the network, we can confirm the water supplies are back to the normal standard.

The boiled water advice is now lifted across the whole of Lancashire and all customers can now use their water supply as normal for all activities including drinking, food preparation and brushing your teeth.

We’d like to thank all of our customers for your patience and understanding during this difficult time. We do realise how frustrating this has been for you.

We will write to affected customers to confirm your water is back to normal and compensation cheques are then issued separately by a second letter. These cheques are already starting to arrive in the areas where the boil water advice had previously been lifted. We expect to issue cheques to all home owners and businesses by the end of this month.

It is always a good idea to identify were your tap water comes, what res' or underground source. How people in London use their water for wine or beer is a mystery? When I have lived there I couldn't drink it and had problems with wine, although beer wasn't a problem. Its the other chemicals in the water there, not bacteria, things like oestrogenic compounds that have got into the aquafers that have feminised lots of male aligators in Florida. Who knows what else in in there?

I'm in the area that was affected by that notice. In fact the treatment works in question is about a mile from me. Water quality is better than ever now.

Simply, if your hot water is supplied via a header tank in the loft or similar then it is not really safe to drink and therefore not safe to make beer unless boiled (have you ever looked inside a header tank and seen the dead insects etc?) If it is sourced direct from the mains via the boiler then it is safe to use to make beer (unless on rare occasions the mains water has been contaminated and then the water supply company should advise it is not safe to drink direct from the tap). However, although mains water is safe to drink it may come with a taste or smell which you don't like, and so bottled water may be preferred for drinking and brewing.

The main problem with using water out of your hot water tank is that it is slowly dissolving your copper and the metals in the solder (if your plumbing is old that means lead). Worse in soft water areas. taste it, it'll taste quite metallic and horrible.
Also modern water heating systems have the heat set quite low so it never properly sterilises it - so it can be full of all kinds of bugs.

I used to live in a village near here that had problems with cross contamination of the water supply with the sewage system - due to heavy lorries using roads that were never meant for them. One day we started getting this black algal **** coming out of the hot taps, despite the fact that I'd set the immersion heater to 95. I eventually got rid of it by emptying a bottle of bleach into the header tank, running the hot water so it drained into the hot tank, then left it alone for a couple of days. It worked. No more seaweed.

Tap water can contain microscopic traces of fecal matter. To make it safe to drink water companies add huge quantities of Chlorine to kill any bacteria hence my cold water often smells like our local swimming pool.

Hot water header tanks will contain dead mice or rats that get in the loft and try to drink the water, fall in and drown.

I have an RO system that produces absolute pure water so dont have poo in my beer sterile or not.

I would recommend fitting an in-line filter on your cold supply that you make beer with. Cheap enough from a company called RO-MAN based in Belfast (nothing to do with me) a really helpful guy called Roy

After reading this thread I'm glad I make the majority of my beer with bottled water. Although I still make stouts and porters with my tap water as they always seem to come out fantastic

When I was a nipper we used to drink from the beck when we were playing out, imagine how much cow **** was in that, didn't do us any harm.

When I was a nipper we used to drink from the beck when we were playing out, imagine how much cow **** was in that, didn't do us any harm.

Drinking sterile fecal matter wont do you any harm either.

The difference is Knowing its in there rather than childhood oblivion of not knowing.

Dunno what everyone is worrying about anyway. During medival times you couldn't drink the water so people brewed with it to make it drinkable. Surely were just doing the same?

I still apply that principle and drink nothing but beer. Same for my kids.

Last summer when we couldn't drink the tap water, I got my kids to develop a taste for Kestrel super strength, Orangeboom and White Lightning cider.

#topdad

Latest posts

Back