ESB based on GHs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Tried my first ESB today based on GH although I have changed it however to rpotect the bulk of his recipe I will post the breifs

Maris Otter
Chocolate Malt
Torrified wheat

60 mins challenger
5 mins EKG
flame out Fuggles
flame out a few more grams of EKG

Pitched at just under 24 with Shepherds neame yeast tipped away just over a pint of the starter so a good liter went in..

It went off fast , although a touch high at 22.. its creeping towards 21 I think and should be 20 by morning so no great shakes.. I dont think even at 22 it will harm it.

Did a few minor changes and got a little better efficiency :thumb:

Looking forward to it, the downstair toilet where it is smells nice from its vapours although I am sure others in this abode will disagree.

Tried my first ESB today based on GH although I have changed it however to rpotect the bulk of his recipe I will post the breifs

Maris Otter
Chocolate Malt
Torrified wheat

60 mins challenger
5 mins EKG
flame out Fuggles
flame out a few more grams of EKG

Pitched at just under 24 with Shepherds neame yeast tipped away just over a pint of the starter so a good liter went in..

It went off fast , although a touch high at 22.. its creeping towards 21 I think and should be 20 by morning so no great shakes.. I dont think even at 22 it will harm it.

Did a few minor changes and got a little better efficiency :thumb:

Looking forward to it, the downstair toilet where it is smells nice from its vapours although I am sure others in this abode will disagree.

better beer vapours than the other type you usually get from the toilet :lol:

Down to 20 this morning the airlock was going crazy.

I am amazed that this has all started from a bottle of dregs, the last starter wort I poured off was pretty fruity thanks for your help MQ :thumb:

Has the krausen started to try to climb out of the FV yet?

You might want to rouse the yeast after a week. I'm still not sure wether mine was ever infected but I think what may have happend is that because the yeast is so flocctuant (and I also didn't give the beer enough time on the yeast cake), It may have continued to ferment in the bottle rather than it being infected. So rousing it along with perhaps a bit more fermentation time, should ensure you get full attenuation

Has the krausen started to try to climb out of the FV yet?

You might want to rouse the yeast after a week. I'm still not sure wether mine was ever infected but I think what may have happend is that because the yeast is so flocctuant (and I also didn't give the beer enough time on the yeast cake), It may have continued to ferment in the bottle rather than it being infected. So rousing it along with perhaps a bit more fermentation time, should ensure you get full attenuation

I have one of those wide neck FVs so its quite tall but I can see a good couple of inch krausen, I had this with my wit yeast too. Will take a crop of it tomorrow night

Temps been 20-21 which I think should be okay..

Do you think I should say enf of the week move it to a warmer place where it might be 22 possibly a touch more? I will lightly rotate the FV perhaps or even moving it might agitate it. I made sure I agitated the step ups and starters because it clumps and dropped.

Don't know a lot about this yeast apart from what you have said and what the starters told me. my last 2 liter starter the krausen was 50% the size of the wort:lol:

Will be interesting to see what attenuation I get. you said something about late seventees early 80s? Suprising with its fruitiness and sweetness

The krausen on my starter was just as big.
I fermented at 20C then after 7 days let it rise to ambient temp (probably about 22C iirc). Looking at my notes I got 78% attenuation.

The krausen on my starter was just as big.
I fermented at 20C then after 7 days let it rise to ambient temp (probably about 22C iirc). Looking at my notes I got 78% attenuation.

Well I got a OG of 1055 so will post back what I get.. It will be interesting if I get something different to yours. Two different bottles two different cultures.. From that Yeast book which I think you said you read, didn't it say that the yeast which settles and flocs out will be layers with high low and medium floculators attenuators..

I may be wrong it could be a lottery as to what we breed with..

It seems very promising will see how it goes, I cannot wait really..

Well I got a OG of 1055 so will post back what I get.. It will be interesting if I get something different to yours. Two different bottles two different cultures.. From that Yeast book which I think you said you read, didn't it say that the yeast which settles and flocs out will be layers with high low and medium floculators attenuators..

I may be wrong it could be a lottery as to what we breed with..

It seems very promising will see how it goes, I cannot wait really..

Also things like pitching rate will have an effect. You may have grown more yeast than me and consequently have a higher attenuation. There's absolutely loads of variables on how we cultured up the strain that will have an effect. I got different attenuation from terrym for example

Also things like pitching rate will have an effect. You may have grown more yeast than me and consequently have a higher attenuation. There's absolutely loads of variables on how we cultured up the strain that will have an effect. I got different attenuation from terrym for example

Seems to have slowed up a bit now less than 48 hours after pitching.. It did go off quick though and was really fast for the first 24 hours... If I crop later I will try and fold in some of the krausen..

If it flocs high and krausens high its like the yeast don't like swimming :lol:

Realised I should have merged this with my otehr brew thread never mind, I can do that at a later date

its slowed down a fair bit today.. was crazy first 2 days.. did you find that also??

I did a small starter and scooped out the krausen which was huge and like whipped cream in consistency.. you could almost sleep on it.. tried to turn it back in the wort ..

Checked gravity today its finised about 1014.. so about 75% attenuation

Looks like mine will be about 5.5% plus any extra for carbing..

I may try to err on the side of caution with priming last time I primed an English Pale ale last year I think I went a little OTT and whilst the beer was nice, it was a little too fizzy for the style and I often degassed it because fizzy English ale doesn't seem right..

Might go 4 gram per liter or something

bottled today

the dregs which I put in a glass, tastes really promising, with the yeast it tastes a bit like bishops finger.. a bit of clearing and hopefully a gentlish carbing it will be great

I carbed at just over 4grams per liter for this

How did to find this in the end? Both the SN and the ESB in general?

I bought another bottle of 1698 yeasterday to culture up from after I binned the last lot after I thought the last lot got infected. I've got a bottle of beer coming from Dan125 with Vermont yeast in it to do first but I grabbed te 1698 while I could as I haven't seen it in Asda for a while

Only just a month in the bottle and getting better.. its turned out pretty good.

I primed a slight on the lower side perhaps but for the style I think it works.

I am pleased with it so far ill try and post a pic of one up later actually if I remember.

I thought this might benefit a little bit of aging possibly?? I dunno I haven't made much of this style before.

Here she is, a bit cold when pic taken, head didn't last but best pint of it so far

DSC_0501.jpg

Latest posts

Back