Brewdog recipe 173 beatnik stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbond10

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking thru recipe s on the diy dog book I'm liking the looks of the beatnik milk stout there's a few problems with the actual figures. Windrider helped me out but I thought I best get a broader view too.

I'll put the original numbers on the left then mine on the right

Total into fv 20 l / 23 l
Abv 6.5% / 6.5%
Ibu 35 / 35
Start Sg 1068
Final 1020
Yeast wyeast 1058 / us05

Malt

Pale malt 2130 / 4369
Amber 250/ 513
Flaked oats 250 / 513
Chocolate 380 / 779
Roast barley 130 /267
Carafe special type 3 190 /390
Lactose (end of boil ) 375 /769

Hops

Galena 13.2% 90 mins 12.5g/33.9

Misc

Cacao nibs (end ) 25g/ 29g
Coconut chips (end ) 20g/23g
Coconut chips (fv) 50g/ 58g

Right the problems I see is the lactose running it thru a brewing calculator you get a huge amount. Any suggestions on this amount. Maybe I should decide 375 by 20 then times it by 23
Also I'm planning on roasting the coconut that's both going in the boil and into the fv will this be enough to sterilise it (160 degrees for 10-15mins ) how would you add it to fv jus lob it in and hopefully syphon off the mess.

Any other tips including carb levels would be great

Cheers sean

Doesn't coconut have a lot of oils in it? Steep it in vodka for a few days. Freeze, then scrap of the oil. You could add it near the end of fermentation or at bottling time to the FV.

I don't understand why you've got two figures for eveything in the reciepe (probably because I'm a spoon) but my Greg Hughes reciepe has 300g added at the last ten mins of the the boil for the milk stout

Me neither. If it's been scaled up from 20l to 23l, it's not been calculated correctly.

It looks like it's been scaled from 10l instead of 20l. Everything has been multiplied by 2.3.

Second part of the paragraph explains why there's 2 number ones brewdog(the first one) the second is biabacus calculations. The reason I gave both was so you can see what brew dog are saying and then what my recipe calculator was saying. It would be easier to use brewdog s number s rather than mine as that's calculated for biab

It seems simply roasting and then dabbing it with paper towels help remove the oil I had an article but I can't find it now

Ah, that makes more sense now. So the second numbers are based upon scaling up and your expected efficiency with BIAB?

Yes scaling it from brewdog s reportly 20 litres to my biab 23 litres as I doubt very much there 3kg grain bill could hit 6.5%

For some reason, it seems a few recipes in diydog assume 90% efficiency which is just bonkers. Most of them are pretty fair though at around 75%.

Latest posts

Back