Fermenting a high gravity ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made my highest gravity beer to date - a Mikkeller Monk's Brew clone which came out at 1.092. I'm using mangrove jacks abbey yeast though instead of the WLP on the recipe.

I was wondering whether I needed to ferment this longer than a standard size ale? If theres anything else I need to do or not with this yeast strain to get the best results. Currently fermenting away at 20 deg.

Thanks.

I made my highest gravity beer to date - a Mikkeller Monk's Brew clone which came out at 1.092. I'm using mangrove jacks abbey yeast though instead of the WLP on the recipe.

I was wondering whether I needed to ferment this longer than a standard size ale? If theres anything else I need to do or not with this yeast strain to get the best results. Currently fermenting away at 20 deg.

Thanks.

What size batch are you doing? At that gravity, you will probably need 2 packs of yeast.

Yup, +1 for aeration.
But you'll also need to make an adequate starter. Start with 1 litre at 1.040 then knock it up to 1.060 ish with more wort added straight in when it starts to slow down. Get you fermentation temperature sorted too, you'll need to give the yeast all the help they can get to avoid off flavours.
Use yeast nutrients and get your mash ph bang on too if poss.

I made sure to aerate, all beers I aerate loads. I pitched one packet into about 18litres without a starter as it's dried yeast. It's a yeast made for high alcohol beers.

I was thinking about leaving it for 4 weeks in primary, then cold crash and bottle.

I made sure to aerate, all beers I aerate loads. I pitched one packet into about 18litres without a starter as it's dried yeast.

with such gravity I use one packet for 10 liters. is the gravity going down?

with such gravity I use one packet for 10 liters. is the gravity going down?

I assume so. It was fermenting away on Tuesday morning, but I then left my home brewery in Ireland to go to London for a week, so I'll find out when I return on Tuesday.

I'm not keen on taking loads of gravity readings as every time I take the cap off the FV I open it up to bacteria and wild yeasts, and putting my syphon in there also greatly increases the risk of infection. I'll check it when I come home, it would be fermenting for over a week by then.

Yeast nutrition is also important. High gravity beer definitely benefit from added nutrient. This may be a little late now but something to bear in mind.

Latest posts

Back