mixing kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you got two cans of something like the Youngs Harvest Pilsner in the Tesco sale at £7.50 each or the Wiko Cerveza (£8 right now) you could hop the living day lights out of them and end up with quite a nice summer beer.

I have still got three kits to use( unless they go on ebay first) A Harvest stout (30 pints), a Geordie bitter and a Geordie mild both 40 pints.
May mix the stout and the mild kit together along with some Malt extract, brown sugar ,Black treacle and various steeped grains and perhaps Bramling X hops and perhaps Fuggles or whatever and brew the two kits to say, 32/35 pints and see what it ends up like:)

So if you are doing this do you:

A) still brew to 23L - with the second kit being in place of extra fermentables such as DME - essentially turning it into a 2 can kit

B) brew a larger amount, with some added fermentables - intrigued to try this - it's presumably bring the hop flavour from each kit much further forwards.

I was tempted to do a hop bomb soon - this might be the way forwards.

Right now I'm on a prolific burst of brewing. Because I've got a lot of kits to use up, and I'll be moving house next year, so I'm thinking get a big batch of beer done, then I dont want to be moving hundreds of bottles, so I can drink them all up, and start afresh in the new house.

I've currently got 2 X lager kits nearing or just past their use by:

Gozdawa Lager
Hambleton bard DME lager supreme

I'm thinking combine the two, add some of the recommended extra sugar - and maybe over brew it a bit - 25L or so to keep the ABV down to manageable levels.

Hopefully that'll turn it into a strong bitter hop bomb.

What are people's thoughts? It'll be my first time brewing 2 kits together - so any advice welcome.

I made a mix of coopers original stout and coopers dark ale, brewed to 23 litres or so. I might have added extra DME on top. It came out okay, but needed a lot of time. It wasn't a touch on all-grain strong stouts that I've since made though. I've still got some left, must be at least 18 months in the bottle now

Back