Oh Oh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Have a few Wilko stouts left, all of the previous bottles have been fine on opening .Thought i would be clever and try adding some cocoa nibs to a bottle, re seal it(plastic screw cap)leave it fridge for two days, just to see if there would be a taste change in a short space of time:doh:
Took bottle out of fridge this evening for around 40 minutes so it wouldn't be ice cold ,opened it up and had a major gusher:doh::doh:, the bottle almost emptied before i could do anything with it!.Got a b#####king from the missus due not to spilt beer but my bad language:mrgreen:.
Lesson learned, just drink em and don't tamper:lol:

only ever had 1 bottle gush and I almost wet myself not with beer but wee.

the beer gushed out over my father in law's sunday dinner - he had a totally bewildered look on his face.

swmbo was not impressed. :oops:

Not had once since like that thankfully.
:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Had a bottle gush last week,I had 2 litres of a hoppy bitter in a fridged pet bottle,the bottle was solid to the touch anyway got my 2 litre decant jug out and started to fill it then realised I was gonna way over froth it so balancing the bottle on the jug and pouring with one hand I tried to reach in the cupboard underneath the kitchen worktop for an empty glass or two to take up the lively beer,well you can see where I'm going now,ha a little sudden movement on the bottle resting on the jug and suddenly we had a beer fountain going off in the kitchen and it takes a second to get your head around what to do,a second is too long swmbo was livid and the next half hour I was busy mopping and wiping everything all down

if you want to open a bottle and retain as much condition as possible chill it in the freezer for an hour or so, the colder the beer the more co2 it will contain.. i think letting the beer warm up was the fatal flaw in your cunning plan..

if you want to open a bottle and retain as much condition as possible chill it in the freezer for an hour or so, the colder the beer the more co2 it will contain.. i think letting the beer warm up was the fatal flaw in your cunning plan..
Ah ok ta:thumb:

My batch that I over carbed and got a bottle bomb (weak bottle, the rest have been fine) has had a number of gushers. I've learned to open them over a Tupperware which I then sit the bottle in as they are a bit of a delayed reaction type of gush. Usually it's so strong that it fires yeast up into the beer too so most of them have ended up down the sink.

It's rather miraculous that I haven't had a gusher yet (not from a bottle anyway, fnar fnar), but I'm sure its only a matter of time. I'll be upping the priming for this wheat beer, so there's a chance they could end up squirters.

I've had one or two the worst being one of my chilli ipas....made the mistake of try to drink down the foam...hot hot hot

Last year made an APA well carbonated and bottle slightly warm. It opened OK but didn't realise that I poured it into a Heineken nucleated glass. It didn't stay in the glass very long!
All lager glasses now banned!

Latest posts

Back