Pilsner IPA type of thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJT

Reaction score
Hi

So been thinking of trying a beer that is a pilsner/IPA hybrid but not sure on what yeast to use.

Can anyone suggest one?

Cheers
Andy

Hi

So been thinking of trying a beer that is a pilsner/IPA hybrid but not sure on what yeast to use.

Can anyone suggest one?

Cheers
Andy

You want to make an IPA-like beer with Pilsner malt? Use a regular ale yeast.
You want to make a lager with Pale Malt? Use a bottom fermenting yeast.

Or are you thinking about something like Kolsch?

You want to make an IPA-like beer with Pilsner malt? Use a regular ale yeast.
You want to make a lager with Pale Malt? Use a bottom fermenting yeast.

Or are you thinking about something like Kolsch?

What is kolsch as I have never had it before. I was going to use an ale yeast but wondered if there was a better option. What yeast does a kolsch need and what is the difference between a kolsch and a lager?

Great yeast face, thanks. Have you tried both a lager yeast and an ale yeast for your recipe and noted the difference?

Hi

Can anyone suggest one?

Cheers
Andy

I used good ol' us-05 for my Pilsner based Riwaka pale. Haven't tried it yet though but you won't go far wrong. If you want a lager like beer you'll need a lager strain and to ferment it cool, probably 12-13c depending on strain. If you haven't got a brew fridge (I don't - grrr) that could be tricky

Kölsch is basically a lager style beer, but fermented with a top-fermenting ale yeast rather than a bottom-fermenting lager yeast. It's from Cologne originally and probably the best known commercial brand is Früh.

beer_7777.jpg

I think like GHW says, you can't go far wrong with US-05, although I have read about a lot of people favouring Mangrove Jack's West Coast yeast instead as it apparently flocs better.

u.s._west_coast_yeast.jpg

I haven't quite sorted my recipe yet but I'm planning a beer made with lager malt, carapils, and a mix of Perle Tettnang and Mittlefruh hops and using an M44 in one and either a US05 or a M36 in the other. Both will be identical apart from the yeast. (I might also do one with a Safale T58 too just to see what happens) Will keep you posted on what happens.

I haven't quite sorted my recipe yet but I'm planning a beer made with lager malt, carapils, and a mix of Perle Tettnang and Mittlefruh hops and using an M44 in one and either a US05 or a M36 in the other. Both will be identical apart from the yeast. (I might also do one with a Safale T58 too just to see what happens) Will keep you posted on what happens.

Sounds like we are trying a similar sort of thing. Let me know how you get on, very interested to hear the outcome of each.

Sounds Like it AJT, I'm after something that drinks well chilled but without having to mess about lagering a beer.

IT might be worth making a Kolsch using something like S-33 yeast/liquid yeast equivalent. It's a very robust and clear yeast and you won't need to lager, but it's always a good idea to cold crash.

TBH I rarely properly lager my lagers and they still come out very lagery. I prefer to spent less time in a secondary FV and more time conditioning in the bottle.

Thanks For that Jceg plenty to try out there then. I becoming more interested in yeast at the moment so there's a few things to go at.

Back