Wherry - �£16

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never bothered with the Wherry (due to the constant reports of "stuck" issues) but the special offer changed my mind ...
Have brewed just one can last week to about 12 litres, with addition of 440g brewing sugar (using up open pack). SG 1.044, by day 4 down to 1.014, so no sign of stuck fermentation, and the taste so far is actually very nice. Next check day 10.

The main reason for stuck brews is the yeast (or lack of it, small packet) not the actual extract kit.

They've been 16 quid for a while, I got one at that price 4-5 weeks ago. Although Wherry is nice on it's own, I use it as a base for experimenting with different hop and grain additions, usually just doing 1 can at a time for a 10L brew - just bottled one with a load of extra crystal and a fruity old ale yeast.

I never bothered with the Wherry (due to the constant reports of "stuck" issues) but the special offer changed my mind ...
Have brewed just one can last week to about 12 litres, with addition of 440g brewing sugar (using up open pack). SG 1.044, by day 4 down to 1.014, so no sign of stuck fermentation, and the taste so far is actually very nice. Next check day 10.

I wouldn't let wherry's rep for a stuck brew put you of buying it, it's supposed to be a nice pint. Just pick up a pack of Notty/wilko ale yeast (for the princely sum of �£1.75) while you at it to use instead

I've done two Wherry's, never used the kit yeast never had them stick. Added German cascade hops with the first and Aurora hops with the second. Loved them both, Wherry 2 was a gusher but just relieved the pressure twice and they were fine after that.

Today the FG was 1.007, still cloudy but needed to bottle due to work commitments, otherwise it would take at least a week til I have time again. 23 bottles including a couple of 330ml, went straight under the stairs against a cold wall which will aid clarification. Used the kit yeast.

Must agree with earlier comment, the sample was very tasty so definitely will consider again. Took the opportunity to do a stock take, 78 bottles plus keg with about 17 litres. No stock of homemade wine for quite a while now so will do a few gallons of WOW soon.

Just and update on this, I popped in Wilko yesterday and they still have the Wherry at £16, their own Hoppy Copper for £8 and they have some Coopers kits for £10 a pop. Their brew enhancer is still £6 for 1kfg which is a shame, it'd be nice if they brought their BE down as well the same way Tesco do in their sale.

'tis a good pint. I just finished my last one last night, after seven months in the bottle, and it was the best in the batch. An AG version of sonething similar is definitely on the cards.

Latest posts

Back